Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

3 hours in Casablanca airport... and so excited!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to have a three to four hour layover in Casablanca on my way to Fez. And it will be at night. Common sense says to stay put, but it's soooo exciting! Is there anything that I can grab a taxi with and head out to see or do? Is it worth just driving around a bit?

(and ideas on price for an hour of taxi?)

Many thanks!

TF
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 05:59 AM

You can negotiate the price with the taxi driver, there is no fixed price for that, and base it on the Mosque and the cornish with Rick's cafe, those are the must seen places in Casablanca.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That has to be one of the silliest ideas I've seen lately, I can't believe planetraveller is endorsing it.

1. Even if your flight is on time you still need time to de-plane and clear immigration and customs. Say half an hour.

2. You have to be back at the airport in time to clear security. General recommendation these days is two hours, but even before added security is was one hour.

3. The airport is 30 km from town. The train takes about half hour, viamichelin says driving takes about half an hour. That's an hour round trip best case without arranging the transport and without traffic jams if you take a taxi.

4. The Hassan II mosque isn't open for visits in the evening.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 02:00 AM

TF, no idea venturing into town with just 3 hrs between flights, just doesn't make sense, you just won;t have time. Anyway, not very much to see in Casa except for the Hassan mosque, which won't be open to tourists at night. I know you're excited, but wait till you get to Fes and then wander around all you want...Have a great trip, waiting for your pix and TR.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, just the info I needed.

You mean they won't make me clear customs at the first stop, as they do in US? That's a treat.

See y'all on the other side.

TTFN

TF
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 08:58 PM

In Casablanca Air-port sometimes take about 1 hour to 2 hours at the checking point, but if you are traveling from NY taking direct flight to Casablanca, will land there around 06:30am so that one does not keep late, the first Mosque visit will be at 09:00am second one 11:00am, so just arrange things once you arrive and travel slowly.
PT
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 03:08 AM

TF, you will have to collect clear customs and go to the domestic part of the terminal, usually quite a simple procedure. Happy travels!
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 05:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PT - if you bothered to read the OP, you would see she says she is arriving AT NIGHT. And has 3-4 hours.

TF - isn't this your first stop in Morocco? Where else would you clear immigration and customs?