Help with Egypt and Jordan itinerary

Feb 8th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Help with Egypt and Jordan itinerary

My wife and I are planning a 10 day trip to Egypt in March 2010. We have sceduled 4 nights in Cairo, 3 nights in Luxor and 2 in Sharm-al Shekh. Is it a good idea to combine the Red Sea Coast with the Nile area? Is it practical to extend the trip to include 3-4 days in Amman with a day trip to Petra?
Feb 8th, 2010, 11:18 AM

It is good to spend time on the Red Sea if you desire sand and surf. I think 2 nights is not enough unless you have the first and last days there as full days. You need 3 days, IMHO to make it worth while - as you are likely to love it so much, you will be sorry if you don't give yourself enough time.

What you are missing is Aswan and Abu Simbal - both Temple and Tomb intensive. You may feel you will have had enough of that by the end of 5 nights in Cairo and Luxor. That is up to you.

I can't answer your questions about Petra, as I've never been there.

Enjoy!
Feb 8th, 2010, 02:17 PM

Don't know about the practicalities coming from Egypt, but you'd be better off with 3-4 days in Petra with a day trip to Amman, lol! At least spend two nights, better three, in Petra. (Click on my name for my TR explaining why.)
Feb 9th, 2010, 08:14 AM

Why not do the Nile cruise between Luxor/Aswan rather than spending 3/nts Luxor only. Luxor is fascinating, but there's much to see along the Nile and such an easy leisurely way to enjoy the history. Whether you cruise Luxor/Aswan or Aswan/Luxor, from Aswan you can arrange the visit to Abu Simbel (often a few morning hours, unless you choose to overnight).

I'd definitely add days to visit Jordan - Amman & Petra.
Feb 9th, 2010, 10:01 AM

I'd honestly take two days away from Cairo and add them somewhere else. Two full days in Cairo (especially if you have a guide to drive you around) is enough to see the main sights.
Feb 9th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your suggestions. Our tentative itinerary is as follows: We will arrive in Alexandria (late night), spend the night there; next day visit the Library and leave for Cairo. Our tour operator suggests that we visit Giza the same day and stay on for the light and sound show at the Pyramids. We spend 3 more days in Cairo, a total of 4 days. A day at the Musuem, a day visiting the markets and if possible a day excursion to the Suez Canal.
From Cairo we fly to Aswan, where we have a car pick us up and drive to Luxor visiting the dam and Edfu along the way. We then spend 2 days in Luxor and vist the Left Bank one day and the Right Bank the other day. We then fly back home from Luxor.
While we are keen on visiting Abu Simbel, the cost is a bit beyond our budget. As for the Nile Cruise - I am not comfortable on a cruise, it makes me feel claustrophobic.
Jordan, the Red Sea resorts and Mount Sinai we will visit on a separate trip.
Feb 9th, 2010, 11:12 AM

While you're in Cairo don't miss the Coptic quarter.
Feb 9th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

All day tours seem to commence at 7 am and 8 am. My wife and I are late risers. We would like to start our tours preferably at 11.00 a.m., 10.30 a.m. at the earliest. Is that possible?
Feb 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM

I'm the last person who would ever consider a "cruise." But did so in Egypt. Why? These are not traditional cruise "ships" rather are "boats"... with flat bottom on the Nile that isn't all that deep and you can easily see both shores. There are various size boats, many that are small enough to be considered a private yacht. Others maybe with 50/cabins with 100/pax if fully booked. I truly enjoyed the experience... and that's it as far as cruises go for me. Think about it.

As regards the start of tours, being on a private tour with own guide, you can probably start later, but realize that it gets hot in Egypt. Early mornings are cooler, why they start at 7-8am. Mid-day many prefer to be indoors or sitting at the pool; if on a cruise, it's quite delightful and the boats are air conditioned. Cairo* though isn't near at hot as Upper Egypt (Luxor/Aswan) nor driving thru the desert between these two. Why visits to the Valley of Kings/Queens is often at 6am. By 9am it can be 90-degrees or higher.

*nights can get chilly, even on Nile cruise temps can drop 20-30-degrees from daytime highs.

It'll be up to you, I guess!
Feb 9th, 2010, 08:35 PM

We are managing to see Cairo, Aswan, Abu Simbel, Sharm El Sheikh, and Petra in 9 days. I generally do not use travel agents, and have traveled independently with children in many remote countries, but for this one simply couldn't get confident with making all my own plans. I researched agents before settling on LadyEgypt, and I'm quite happy with them. Although I was initially so reluctant to get help from a travel agent, have been very pleased with the plans and especially the cost savings. They apparently get much better prices than I was able to find, for hotels, transportation. So, if you haven't considered that, you might want to. I never used to believe that you could save money with a travel agent, but in Egypt it appears to be this way. Have a nice trip.