First time to Egypt and Jordan - help with planning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading up on all the trip reports and the helpful hints fodorites have provided but am a little stumped on this. We have only 8 days for travel so this is like a sampler trip.

We plan to arrive Cairo midnight Sept 5 but want to visit Jordan also. Does this itinerary make sense or are we doing too much in this time? I tend to jam pack everything in - always on the move and my spouse likes to move at a slower pace:

9/6 Cairo, Giza etc
9/7 Cairo
9/8 fly to Luxor
9/9 Luxor
9/10 Cairo then fly to Amman
9/11 Amman
9/12 Petra
9/13 Petra
9/14 fly back to US

I'm considering a daytrip to Luxor and back so we can spend more time in Cairo? How about Abu Simbel or Aswan? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

Old Jul 8th, 2007, 06:07 AM

YOW. I tend to jam too much into trips also but I think you would experience sensory overload with a schedule like this. One country or the other perhaps. I'm sure the Cairo experts can give more guidance but you really should slow down and smell the shisha. Luxor deserves more than a day trip. The Nile is most beautiful at Aswan (stay at the Old Cat) and Abu Simbel is incredible. My first trip was 9 nights and I had to go back the next year to see things I had missed. Also, travel in Egypt doesn't always go as planned - cancelled flights, delays - all part of the experience.
Jordan is on my short list for when I can spend time at Petra and Wadi Rum. Good luck with your plans
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:15 PM

Queen..I think it's safe to say travel anywhere in the world doesn't always go as planned!

Yeow!!

8 days for BOTH countries?? wow that's a fast trip like you say.

Maybe just Cairo and surrounds (Cairo, day to Alexandria, Giza over 3-4 days, then Jordan/Petra.

You Can see the highlights of Jordan in 4 days...Wadi Rum, Medaba, Jerash, Petra, Nebo, Dead Sea...but it's a little hurried. I'm actually planning a 4 day transit of Jordan on my way to Syria. Would love another day in Jordan, but I'm not the only decision maker in our trio, so I have to choose my battles, so to speak.

Zen-
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Queen and Zen,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I now have another day but will scale back some.

Zen - lucky you to go to Syria. I wanted to go there instead of Egypt as the valet in the building is from there. I showed him the Bradt Syria travel book and asked him about it and he was excited and incredulous someone wanted to visit his country!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 05:03 AM

YOW!
I'm with the others. Pure overload. Each of these countries has so much to offer, it's unfair to do a "tasting menu-type" holiday.

We did manage 2/days in Jordan on our way to Egypt, and while it's doable, it was also exhausting and left much more to see/visit. We arrived evening for o/n AMM, next day drive to and touring Petra (which honestly isn't sufficient) and return to Amman, next morning/early afternoon tour of Jerash and Amman, onto airport for flight to CAI.

Once in Egypt though we spent 10/days including 3/days CAI, 5/day Nile cruise, 1/nt each Luxor and Aswan (visited Abu Simbel).

While we were fortunate in not having any delays, especially flights, during our time in Egypt (unlike stories from other visitors we met), we were delayed flying from AMM/CAI.

Both countries deserve more time.

Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:44 AM

I have just returned from my 3rd trip to Egypt. You definitely will not be able to fit Egypt and Jordan into one trip and leave feeling satisfied.
I am actually going to Jordan in October for 10 days on a separate trip.
For Egypt; these are the highlights:

Cairo - Great Pyramids and Saqqara will take at least one day. You can also do Islamic and Coptic Cairo or the Egyptian Museum (a must see) and a guided tour through the souks on another day. We caught the overnight train down to Aswan and stayed at the Old Cataract hotel (loved the hotel).

Abu Simbel is a MUST see. It is truly amazing. Temple of Philae in Aswan is another must see. This will take you 2 days because you can only travel in Egypt in car "caravans" - tourists cannot drive on their own, so you have to go to all these places in a convoy.
Early the next day, you leave (in convoy) to drive up to Luxor. On the way, you stop at Edfu and Kom Ombo. Both are fantastic temples. You arrive Luxor early afternoon.

The next day, you hit the West Bank - Valley of the Kings; Hatshepsut; and the often overlooked; Medinet Habu.

The following day hit the East Bank - Karnak and Luxor Temples, which are mind blowing.

We also really enjoyed the Luxor museum - open very late, it is so uncrowded compared to Cairo with a stunning collection too. Of course, nothing beats King Tut's collection in Cairo though.

Smoking shisha is a lot of fun (I don't smoke at ALL, but the fruit flavors tasted great and it was totally cool just hanging and watching life go by).

I have done this particular trip twice over the past 13 years - the first time I had no money and stayed at hostels. I had no guides. This time (April 2007), I stayed at nice hotels and we had guides (different guides in each city), and I have to say that having an experienced guide really made a significant difference.

(My 3rd trip, if you are wondering, was scuba diving at Sharm El-Sheikh.)

I have to admit - I'm great at reading people's posts on Fodors, but lax in posting replies, so if you ask a question, it may take me a while to respond.

Hope you have a good time! We certainly did!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:40 AM

NY Aussie....I've read that Ras Muhammed has excellent snorkeling and Scuba diving reefs/activities. Did ou go there on our trip to Sharm?

Also, there are supposedly into to Scube classes where you can try Scuba Diving out. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks-

Zen-