Search

Egypt travel in January 08

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Egypt travel in January 08

My husband and I will be traveling with a group of 20 adults to egypt arriving on Jan. 29 '08. Following 12 days in the Egypt area my husband and I will be traveling on to Jordan privately the first part of Feb '08 for 6 days. We are looking for additional information about 'not to miss' sight or things to do in both locations. Also any suggestions of things to avoid will also be of help. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I will be posting this on both Egypt and Jordan topic pages.
Thank you in advance.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 11:24 PM

sagebucket - if you do a search on this forum (something like "Egypt + sights&quot you'll get a lot of info. I would imagine the same for Jordan.

Are you going to be on an organized tour while in Egypt? If so, the major sites will be covered. With 12 days, I would assume you are doing a cruise. Give us some info on your itinerary and the great folks here can tell you if you're missing anything.

FYI - there are no separate "Egypt" or "Jordan" pages. They all fall under Africa & ME.

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:27 AM
Sai

Sagebucket

Just got back from Egypt and Jordan.
Spent 9 days in Egypt and 5 days in Jordan. I highly recommend Jordan. Wish we has spent extra days there.
Also try to minimize your stay in Cairo - it is very polluted and dirty.
Recommend the following :

1. Need atleast 6 hours in the Egyptian museum - don't miss the mummy room - it is extra

2. To get inside the pyramids - do it at the Red Pyramid in Dashur instead of at Giza. Giza pyramids are crowded , passage is very narrow
and expensive.

3. In Aswan stay at the Movenpick - it is really worth it. Both Philae temple and High Dam are good.
A feluca ride in the morning and visit to a Nubian village is a must

4. Abu Simbel should not be missed
I think driving from Aswan ( 3hrs) instead of flying is better as the waiting time + flying time turns out to be the same but you have more flexibility.

5. Luxor was really crowded but both east bank ( Karnak and Luxor temple) and west Bank ( Valley of Kings and Queen Hatsetput's temple) are worth it. In the Valley of the kings don;t miss the Tutmosis III's tomb - well worth the climb up and down.

6. Nile cruise was fun as a group. Though the entertainment was severely lacking on the boat we took.

7. Both Islamic and Coptic Cairo are good . Mohammed Ali Mosqe, Ibn Tulun mosque and Bayer-Anderson's museum is a must see.

8. Khan al Kallili market for shopping - bargain really hard - start with 20-30% of the asking price

In Jordan ( it is cold - so take warm clothes)

1. Petra - allow a full day . Walk up to the Monastary

2. Visit Wadi rum on a 4-6 hr Jeep ride - spectacular views

3. Dead Sea - Allow a full day - we stayed in the Dead Sea Movenpick - the best resort we have ever stayed
Temperatures are good at about 10 a.m. Avoid the Spa - not worth it - Calistoga in California is better for mud bath. The beach has mud bath for free - you can put it on and soak and jump in to the dead sea- keep your eyes protected but you will float.

4. Bethany beyond Jordan, Madaba and Mt. Nebo is a must

5. Jerash and Ajloun Castle are good
You can skip the Jerash charriot show in Jerrash
If you are into castles you can do more but the above are good ones.

6. Don't miss Bani hamida ( Queen Noor's project for destitute women and Wild Jordan are good shopping places

We found Jordan to be much prettier, cleaner and relaxing than Egypt.

Will post pictures later. Have a good trip.

Sai

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:01 PM

Sai - we leave in 10 days for Egypt and Jordan and I read your comments with interest.

How cold is cold in Jordan? What was the temp like in Egypt?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
P_M

I have also just returned from Egypt and Jordan. There is so much good advice above and I definitely agree that Jordan is a cleaner and nicer country than Egypt.

My trip was from Nov 24 -- Dec 9 with the last 5 days or so in Jordan. Temps in Cairo were pleasant but much hotter in the southern part of the country. Jordan was colder but still much warmer than most of the US at this time of year.

I posted a trip report in the lounge which I intend to re-post in this forum soon, but if you are interested in reading it, here is a link:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35097421
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 08:50 AM

cold as in you will need a ski hat that can cover your ears and gloves at times. While hiking Petra it gets warmer. Dead Sea is pleasant...if you can stay for 2 night it will be the best. Get into the water at least between noon and 2pm.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 09:23 AM

P_M - thanks I hadn't seen your trip report - just reading it now

travel04 - thanks for the wardrobe tips - as Canadians we always travel with ski hats

We're staying 2 nights at the Kempinski Dead Sea hotel and then 2 nights at Movenpick Petra. Very excited about our trip.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 07:14 AM

We are in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Egypt and Jordan is high on our list too. A big thanks to all for the detailed information!

Katy