Hand Carry On & British Airways

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hand Carry On & British Airways

I am leaving in the am and still sturggling with the new regulation. Every bag I find that fits the size requirement ends up being a tad wider when I load in my camera gear. Does anyone have any idea if BA will stop me or what bag and brand goes on with no hassle? I af fearful of getting stopped in BA - London and being forced to check my camera gear! I have today to run around and try to find one! Ha! Nothing like last minute itis. (I thouht I had this handled UNTIL I started loanding the Canon equipment!)
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:12 AM

13moons - you certainly have had your share of "sturggles." ;-)

Can you put a lens or a camera body into a pocket or around your neck and then stick it back into the bag once on the plane? Just one thought. And best wishes for the duration of your trip!~
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

YOU are not allowed to carry anything on your person...nothing in pockets etc. So off I go in search of another bag!!
Yes, I sure have had to jump over some hudles, huh? Guess I am going tohave the trip of trips!!!!!!!!! Yahoo! I can't wait to be on my merry way.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 12:18 PM

We're counting on our Tamrac Velocity 9 to meet the specs. If not, we're in trouble too.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:30 PM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
I asked this question on flyertalk and here's the response -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=592402
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! I got a slightly smaller bag and stuffed it full with gear so? off I go. Hopefully not to be bothered! Tlak to you in 3 weeks!
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 01:46 AM

The website you link to shows people being very positive but to be honest I'd expect (or prepare) for the worst and at least then you'll be positively surprised. This has nothing to do with British Airways - it's the British Airport Authority (BAA) who are responsible for the checks. We went through Heathrow in July (before the security alert \ changes) and BA allowed one bag that was slightly over sized on as hand baggage but going through security BAA slapped a big yellow sticker on it saying it was too big (though at the time they did allow it through).
As it's camera gear, I'd try to make sure you're within the restrictions and then you don't need to worry.
Have a great trip.
Graham
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Gardyloo

Cheeseburger on its way
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 01:42 PM

Thanks napamatt. Are you of an age such that you know the reference?
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Through not flying through London, I was told by KLM on Thursday that no carryons (including camera bags) would be allowed from Nairobi-Amsterdam-US.

Luckily I had purchased a Quantaray backpack last year. It has an inner zip bag with all the pockets you need for all your camera gear, lens, video camera, etc. Thus I just took the inner bag with cubicles out of the backpack and packed the whole thing including all my camera gear in my 30" duffel and took things from the duffel I could afford to lose and put it in the backpack. Locked both with the TSA approved locks, had them slap on a fragile note on duffel and all went well. When I arrived at Schiphol I found I could have indeed taken the backpack aboard afterall.

I love the flexibility of this Quantaray bag. It is much cheaper than Lowepro. Only $80.00 compared to about $250.00. If anyone needs a new camera bag look into this one.

Jan
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Now that would be telling. But as a transplant to the US, I dont get this one, or at least dont remember it, please enlighten.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:22 PM

We just flew home from Nairobi yesterday through Amsterdam to Minneapolis. We flew on KLM and NW Airlines. We were allowed to carry a small purse and one carry on only on the plane. Restrictions were no liquids and no jells. We were able to carry our cameras, binoculars, film, etc., with us. It worked out quite well. The news was that in Nairobi they do not charge you an exit fee anymore and have not for sometime. We each saved $20.00. Our wait was long. They suggest you be at the airport three hours beforehand. It was a good decision to do just that. Have a good trip. Everything is being done for our safety. I'm all for that. Betty
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:24 PM

http://tinyurl.com/qun4x
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:32 PM

cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger, pepsi, pepsi, pepsi
regards - John Belushi
ps - no coke, pepsi
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:11 PM

I usually carry a lot of gear. My normal photo backpack (no longer of an acceptable size), holds two SLR bodies, a big 300mm f/2.8, a 70-200mm, a wide angle and a macro lens, a flash, an HDV camcorder, an Epson P4000 digital wallet and a whole whack of batteries, cords filters etc...

We're flying to Nairobi on Sept.1 via the UK and I was also running scared trying to find a way of getting my gear on board. As soon as the new sizes were released I searched around and found the OMNI PRO. It's 17.7"x13"x6.2", almost EXACTLY the right size. I spent most of last night trying to squeeze everything in and actually managed to fit both bodies, both long lenses plus the wide angle, the Epson digital wallet, a flash and even a few chargers and tapes.
My wife will have to carry the camcorder and the extra lens...but still a good solution.

The bag does bulge a bit...but not enough to cause alarm. Also, the Omni Pro is designed to fit into an optional Pelican 1520 case. Great if you ever need to check-in your gear in the future; but I would still hide the whole setup in a cheaper looking bag in that situation.

I hope this was helpful.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:11 PM
sandi

Kenya hasn't had a separate departure fee in (maybe 8) years. As with many other countries it's included in the price (taxes) of your airline ticket.