Fregate Island Private or North Island?

Jan 16th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Fregate Island Private or North Island?

If you've been to either resort, please could you give some insight? For the life of me, I can't decide!!!
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:44 AM

North Island is incredible. Have not been to Frigate.
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:33 PM
sandi

Toss a coin.
Haven't been to either, but North looks amazing (as does Frigate); if brownnosing is permitted - Paul McCartney spent his honeymoon on Frigate, but North Island wasn't open yet.

Jan 16th, 2006, 02:48 PM

lion,

What does your entire itinerary look like?

Are you aware of the pricing for North Island? It is a bit steep, to say the least, but it does look amazing.
Jan 17th, 2006, 03:41 AM

We stayed on Fregate two years ago for a week. I assume you know there is 5 days minimum to stay on Fregate and two years ago the price was $1700 per night. When we decided on Fregate we expected something exceptional and we definietly got it. If you are looking for a place with lots of activities look somewhere else. If you are looking for socializing with other visitors look somewhere else. One goes there to get away from everything and everyone, do nothing and it is an ideal place for it but there are other beaches on the Seychelles that are no less gorgeous than on Fregate. We love beaches and activities on Denis Island
Jan 17th, 2006, 04:21 AM

Sandi, FYI it is Fregate with "e" not "i"

Lion, the transfer from Mahe to Fregate RT was about $750 euros for two
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:28 AM
sandi

Pat2003 -

It's called a typo!

Seem jweis and myself had the same problem with our digits.

Jan 17th, 2006, 05:34 AM

I just checked rates on www.fregate.com
and in 2006 it is 1900 euros plus 15% tax & service charge.
A minimum stay of 3 nights is required.

At additional charge:
Transfers from/to Mahé or other islands
Scuba diving and certification
Boat charters
Baby-sitting
Massage & Reflexology in The Rock Spa & apothecary
Laundry service
Jan 17th, 2006, 06:29 AM

Lion

As a tour operator I have had different colleagues stay at both (one at each), but neither has stayed at both to make the comparison. I have also had clients at Fregate (loved it) and a journalist at North Island (equally so)

All feedback is that both places are excellent and from the pricing my advice would be North Island if you dive, since this is included there, and Fregate if you don't (although the advice to toss a coin is tempting). Amazingly it may also come down to availability since I'm given to understand that both have fair occupancy.

Let me know if there are specific things on which you need detail and I can ask those who stayed there.

Richard
Jan 17th, 2006, 07:02 AM

I stayed at Fregate 3 years ago, bid on the auction from Luxury Link. If I didn't get the auction price I wouldn't have went. Not saying its not worth it, but the ocean was pretty rough when we went, large waves...strong currents for diving. Personally I suggest you go to Soneva Fushi in the Maldives if you are looking for that laid back, luxurious type of vacation.
Jan 17th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Ah! Maldives. It is incredible place indeed. It is on the top of our list along with Bora Bora
Jan 18th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Okay, seriously, I didn't think I would get this much advice! Thanks, everyone, for all the info and taking the time to post. Might as well have tossed a coin, but we (I) actually settled on North Island last night. For those prices and based on reviews I've read, I know I can't go wrong with either choice. But I get very nervous when it comes to dropping that much cash, so thought I would throw the question out, on the off chance that some enormously lucky person in this world (who happens to search this site) has been to both and could tell all.

No, we are not looking for activity, aside from some snorkeling and island hopping -- going for lazy and luxurious all the way. We have just spent the last year traveling Europe (weekends, based in London) and I am DYING for hot weather and no sights to see whatsoever. Our friends went to the Maldives which we also considered, but it looked almost too calm. What sold me on the Seychelles are the giant tortoises! If I could just run into a few of those, I'll be a happy camper. Another factor was that the Seychelles lie out of the cyclone belt, call me paranoid. Anyway, in the end, I chose North Island based on the photos on their website! What else have I to go on? Richard, I think you are right about the diving - that is one of the very few differentiating factors. I'm also choosing North Island based on the fact that the villas have direct beach access whereas on Fregate, I understand you have to navigate some stairways. As I said, going for pure laziness. Decided I prefer the decor, particulary the bathrooms, at North. It seems to have more of a walk-around-barefoot, bohemian thing goin' on. I also read that the chef will speak with you upon arrival and tailor the menus around your likes/dislikes. I'm guessing you can pretty much order whatever you want.

Yes, I really should have more troubling decisions to make, I know. This is new to us - we actually avoid beach vacations. It's just not us. Haven't even been to Florida, for goodness sake! But after being overwhelmed by Europe for a year, I can't think of anything more appealing than a quiet,
near-desolate island, fruit drink with umbrella in hand!

In the process of booking with an agent. Nothing is definite yet, but I will post when we get back, mid-March. Also stopping over in Dubai. Have you SEEN that place?! It's like Las Vegas on steroids. We are definitely intrigued.

Thanks again!

By the way, the quotes I've received from the agent make it a little easier to stomach as all meals and flights are included.
Jan 18th, 2006, 05:48 AM
sandi

lion -

All meals included. I should hope so, as it's not like you can run down to the nearest MickeyD's or 7/11 - flight needed and there is no MickeyD's.

As to Island Hopping - unless you have more big bucks, will cost you as North is out there all by itself. For Island hopping you should have stayed at one of the closer-in islands - Praslin or Mahe.

Dubai - Las vegas on steroids - interesting!

Who's your travel agent? And what are they charging for this adventure? Here on Fodors, everyone tells all!

Jan 18th, 2006, 03:15 PM

Lion, once you get to North Island there is no way you want to go anywhere from there. Not because it costs so much but because you won't want to leave from this heavenly place and go to another island. I never stayed on North Island but after we got to Fregate there we didn't want to leave this island and our villa. I don't know how many days you are going to be in the Seychelles but I suggest you fly from North to Praslin Island for at least couple of nights and stay in Lemuria resort. It won't cost you to fly to/from North to Praslin. At least we did not pay more when we took a helicopter to Praslin. From there take a boat on a day trip to Curieuse Island to see, to pet, to take zillion of photos of the giant tortoises. This island is the marine national park and there are no other residence but the giant tortoises. You are going to see many of them. Any size and any age. You can make arrangements through Lemuria but we, after a few visits, became friendly with one boat/tour operator who took us on many snorkeling and non-snorkeling trips around Praslin Island for a much smaller fee than what Lemuria wanted to charge us. Lunch was cooked for us on the island and we went snorkeling to two different sites that day. Do not miss snorkeling around St. Pierre Islet. It is a short flight from Praslin to Mahe.

As to meals they were all included on Fregate. The chief not only consulted with us on arrival but suggested we can stop at the kitchen every day and chose all ingredients, meats, fish, fruit, vegatables to our liking. He also cooked for us one evening in our villa.
Regarding snorkeling or swimming, if there are big waves on one side of the island, go to the other side. That's what we did on Fregate.

Search this Thread