Few more questions about Morocco

Aug 13th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Few more questions about Morocco

I think I got the foundation of my Morocco itinerary done but who knows, it may change once I get there, but for now my plan is:
10-Oct-2007 Tangier > Chefchaouen
11-Oct-2007 Chefchaouen > Fes
12-Oct-2007 Fes
13-Oct-2007 Fes
14-Oct-2007 Fes
15-Oct-2007 Fes > Meknes & Volubilis
16-Oct-2007 Desert Tour
17-Oct-2007 Desert Tour
18-Oct-2007 Desert Tour
19-Oct-2007 Desert Tour
20-Oct-2007 Marrakesh
21-Oct-2007 Marrakesh
22-Oct-2007 Marrakesh
23-Oct-2007 Marrakesh / Casablanca
24-Oct-2007 Tangier > Algeciras

Questions:
1. Can I do Meknes & Volubilis as a day trip from Fes?
2. How frequent are the buses to Chefchaouen from Tangier and Chefchaouen to Fes?
3. Is 1/2 a day in Chefchaouen enough?
4. I've read some stuff about how marijuana grows like crazy there and there are people selling it - is it safe to smoke the occasional joint? I don't want to get busted or anything by the police, should I just avoid it altogether?
5.Since most things are closed on Friday (including touristic sites), what is recommended on these days?
6. Do overnight trains need to be booked in advance in October? I would like to take the bus/train to Casablanca from Marrakech and then the same night take the overnight train to Tangier...is this possible to book the same day?

Clifton, I just saw your 2 pics and I'm absolutely giddy with anticipation...I seriously, cannot wait!!

What mode were you using when you took this? I hope I can capture something beautiful as this - I would like to enlarge and frame a portrait like this...wow!
http://www.treklens.com/gallery/Afri...hoto287978.htm

This one is good too:
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Afr...hoto664815.htm
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:45 AM

1. Yes, in fact most people prefer to see them as a day trip from fes.
2. Every couple hours (approx 4-5 a day)
3. enough for what? to get an impression? yes. to soak up the atmosphere? no.
4. No one sells marijuana - its either kif or hash - and yes, its widely available in Chefchaouen particularly. Is it safe to buy? No, not really - there are undercover police all over the place. Proceed at your own risk.
5. People overexaggerate how much things close down on Fridays. Here in Fes, the medina is "open" in the morning and only a few shops and religious monuments close in the afternoon...you wont have any trouble finding things to do/see.
6. You cannot book trains more than 1-2 days in advance and you must do so from a train station (i.e. you must be in the country already)
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

That was extremely helpful! Thank you very much.
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

A few more questions.

Is it worth seeing Essaoria as a day trip from Marrakech or does it require an over night?

Can anyone recommend cheap but clean lodging in Marrakech and Fes and by cheap I mean 120 dirham.

Lastly, if anyone knows roughly what time buses depart from Tangier to Chaouen? Or how much a grand taxi costs to get there?

Thanks again.
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:24 PM

Essaouira is certainly "doable" in a day - but it would require 6 hours (round trip) on the road. I think its better to spend the night if you have the time. Its a charming place, very chilled out - but not so much if you see it as a day trip.

In Marrakech, there are loas of cheap and cheerful hotels off the pedestrian street that leads away from the Jemma el Fna. I've stayed at the Sindi Sud (popular with Peace Corps volunteers). Most of these places do not have websites, so you more or less have to just turn up and take what's available.

In Fes, budget accommodation is not so good. There is the Pension Campini (known by some as the Crapini), Pension Batha and Pension Dar BouInania. The latter's phone number is : +212 35 637 282. There is also a clean, pleasant youth hostel in the Ville Nouvelle near the Hotel Menzeh Zalagh and the McDonalds (I know, ick).
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Jenmaroc!

A couple of more questions. Is all meat in Morocco halaal? Is there any chance of getting non-halaal meat? I'm guessing probably not...are vegetarian meals/dishes available at most places?

I'll be arriving a couple of day before Ramandan...do restaurants still serve food after sunrise and before sunset?

What usually happens in Fes the day Ramandan finishes? I know here, people have parties (if you can call them that). Just wondering if there's any festivities foreigners can observe.

Thanks once again.
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:32 AM

Yes, all meat is halal.

Vegetarian dishes are often the same as meat dishes (but with the meat removed). For example, veggie couscous is the same as chicken couscous, the difference being that the restaurant will not put a piece of chicken on top of the pile of couscous and vegetables. The veg are usually cooked with the meat. You'll do well to stick to the Moroccan salads, which are cooked vegetables in a variety of spices.

Some restaurants will serve meals throughout the day. Morocco depends on tourism, so many establishments that cater primarily to tourists will be open per usual.

The "parties" you're referring to at the end of Ramadan are actually Eid el Fitr. Eid el Fitr is the second most important holiday in the Muslim world after Eid el Adha. There are no public parties that you might "observe" - its much like Christmas: people get together with families and friends for feasts.
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

You're a gem...thanks so much!