Has anyone taken the Great Wilderness Journey?

Jun 8th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone taken the Great Wilderness Journey?

We're planning our "trip of a lifetime," for September 2008 (40th wedding anniversary). We'll start out in Cape Townfor 4 nights, then go to Mala Mala for 3 nights and then do the Pafuri Trail. Then Botswana, then Rwanda for the gorillas. It's a lot of traveling, but as I said it's the trip of a lifetime.

The Great Wilderness Journey, a 12 day trip from Maun to Victoria Falls offered by Wilderness Safaris, seems like the only affordable (relatively) way for us to experience Botswana. I've read good things about Wilderness on this board, and wondered if anyone went on this particular safari.

Any other comments about our trip would also be welcome - I'll probably ask a separate question about Cape Town later.
Jun 8th, 2007, 10:16 AM

I have not done the Great Wilderness Journey, but I have done Wilderness' Untamed Lands which has a similar itinerary (Xigera instead of Jacana and Lechwe Island instead of Ketumetse).

I thought it was a great introduction to Botswana and all the diverse environments that exists there. Lots of varied activities and animals as well.
Jun 8th, 2007, 07:08 PM

That is an itinerary of a lifetime! I've done a Wilderness mobile and thought is was superb. Not Great Wilderness Journey.
Jun 9th, 2007, 05:03 PM

A good friend of mine often guides this trip, he says they are great trips. I pay extra to have him guide me when in Botswana.
Aug 14th, 2007, 08:44 AM

HI, this post might be too late, but I am going on this exact trip, leaving this sept 3rd. If you would like to hear about it when I am back (sept 16th), please let me know. email me at [email protected] I could not find any mention of this trip on this site when I was researching it.
good luck, ki,
Aug 14th, 2007, 10:26 AM

kc,
Please post a trip report when you get back. I think most Fodorites would like to hear about it. I know I would.
Meantime, have a great trip.
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:55 AM

Hi

yes we went from Kasane to Maun, please see full trip report at http://wilddogsandenglishmen.wordpress.com
You can download the PDF of the report from the site. I hope there's something there which you will find useful/ enjoy.
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Some friends that I met on safari in Namibia last year just returned from the Great Wilderness Journey. I didn't get their detailed "trip report" yet, but they sent me a postcard saying that it was wonderful and they enjoyed it immensely.