Botswana itinerary for 1st trip?

Jan 22nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Botswana itinerary for 1st trip?

I posted a couple of weeks ago about figuring out a good rookie trip to Africa. Thanks for all the helpful responses and private emails as well - especially Lynn C and C_dot.

I'm traveling solo, need to stay under $5K not including air to/from US and want to focus on elephants, other big 5 if possible, and want a varied trip - some drives, walks, mokoros etc. Not looking for the most upscale accomodations - but want the most intimate wildlife experience possible, with the least crowds given my limited budget.

I've been recommended the following itinerary for early May which includes all inter-camp flights, solo accomodations, elephant encounter at Stanley's, activities and meals and is within my budget:

3 nights Savute Under Canvas
3 nights Sandibe
2 nights Stanley’s including the Elephant Encounter

Does this sound like a good introductory safari?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Rich
Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:13 PM

That is a superb itinerary... especially for the price! You will have a great time. The elephant encounter is truly fantastic. Enjoy!
Jan 24th, 2009, 04:07 PM

I wish people would weigh in on this because I'm curious, too. I can't help you, since I've never been either. But, I leave for my first safari tomorrow!!! Wish me luck! And I'll share my experience with you when I get back.

Celia
Jan 24th, 2009, 04:29 PM

Have fun c dot.

The price for a solo is great.

I've heard wonderful things about the elephant encounter at Stanley's. I've been to the area around Sandibe, though I was there in the dry season, and enjoyed it. Savuti may have sufficient water so wildlife is dispersed and harder to see that time of year. But there will be some animals around and great birdlife.

This itinerary has 3 diverse areas. I wonder if another delta camp in early May would have more wildlife than Savuti.
Jan 26th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Your itinerary sounds good to me. I was at Sandibe, Nxabega and Savute Safari Lodge in March about 4 yrs ago. Sandibe was terrific for us--- we enjoyed the accommodations, loved the service and saw 2 packs of wild dogs (rare to see just one!) and a herd of elephants that ran from one end of the horizon to the other. I wasn't keen on Nxabega, thinking it needed some work.

Good luck!