Search

Experiences at River Club?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experiences at River Club?

Has anyone been to the River Club in the past year or so; We are booked in late June and would like to stay in the honeymoon suite if it has a view of the river. Can anyone give me a description and review of their experiences? We were told it was the place to stay but reading the threads a year or so ago I am beginning to wonder? Thanks!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:01 PM

We stayed there 4yrs ago and thought it was wonderful, unique and very romantic-and we had our son with us! I believe all the chalets face the river and you breakfast on a sloping lawn looking down on the river and then lunch was served on another lawn under trees-delightful, at least in August. Dinner was communal in a candlelit dining room. The only negative is the food-it's nothing gourmet but certainly adequate. I don't want to spoil any surprises, but it was definitely better than an ordinary hotel room, no matter how luxurious-you could wake to a full on view of the Zambezi and bathe with a full on view-it was quite private with our own lawn outide with loungers. The hotel was featured in an Africa article in the NYT travel section shortly after we returned.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response moremiles! Did you have a chance to see the "honeymoon" chalet on one floor? Do all the chalets have a view; I had heard to request special ones; if so do you have a "name" of your chalet (or another one) that I could request..How were the river activities; I am a sunset fanatic so I specifically want to be out on the water for that. My partner wants to raft but I am not sure if it is available that time of year...were you there winter or summer? I read the food is not particulary "gourmet" but I am more interested in activities - and a great view. Did you have insects bothering you in the room? Anything you would do differently at Vic Falls - we will be there 2 1/2 days. Thanks so much. Dana
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:43 PM

No, I did not see the honeymoon chalet but from what I remember, all chalets faced the river and we had a family chalet which had a wonderful view-maybe check with your TA or others here might know. We did the sunset cruise which was nice, small motorboat with about 8 of us aboard, drinks and canapes were served and we saw crocs and baboons on the banks of the river. We also did the half hour heli ride which was fantastic, as long as you don't have any motion problems. Also did the tour of the Falls which was wonderful, even in late August. We only spent two nights there at the end of our trip-could've used one more night to do more of the activities and maybe use the pool. There were a few bugs in the chalet but they provide you with spray, etc. and I'm pretty paranoid about insects and they didn't bother me-you have netting over the bed too. Feel free to pm me if you'd like more info!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much; we have our reservations there and after reading several threads from a year or so ago, I was a bit worried; but I think it will be fine..we do not ever want to stay in large properties and like the idea of a smaller place on the river so I am sure even with "open" rooms, we will love it. Hopefully those fodorites who have been there prior to 2007 will post a review for me! Appreciate all the great info...
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 08:42 PM

We stayed two nights at the River Club in late June. The bungalows are totally open on the side facing the river. Wonderful views, totally private and very romantic. You can have a bath while watching the sun set over the Zambezi River! Food was fine and service was good. They even sent us a Christmas card signed by all the staff. They provided us with our own guide who took us to the Falls, a school, village and a market. We felt we didn't have enough time to enjoy the property as we only had one full day there.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

It's good to hear the positive feedback on RC..I was beginning to think major mistake staying 3 nights but sounds like there is plenty to do. Appreciate the info! D.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 04:03 AM

We stayed there 2 nights in Aug. 2004 and while we didn't take advantage of the lodge itself other than meals I recommend whole heartedly. The manager was a former Mombo manager and avid outdoorsman who gave great advice as to things to do. We did a white water rafting trip on the Zambezi and as we would have not had time to see Vic Falls otherwise he had someone meet us at the rafting co's. headquarters and drive and give us a tour of the falls. The rooms are wonderful with views of the river and although open in front (I thought I heard they were going to enclose them to some degree) very private. We took a Zambezi River cruise in the evening (included in the rate) which was fun, saw hippos, elephants on the bank, crocs, birds and a beautiful sunet. Three nights is definitely not too much, it was the one thing my whole family commented on was that 2 nights was not enogh...there was too much to see and do especially if you are an adventure junkie.
Regards,
Eric
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 09:30 AM

Fabulous experience and great food. There is a lot to do, but the high point for my husband and myself was a trip over the river in an ultra light plane. We looked down at the falls and amazingly a group of 8 elephants including 3 babies swimming across the river.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

At last some excitement has been generated at River Club! Thanks - we are definitely in Vic Falls for the river and falls activities as we are landlocked here; looking foward to a flight over the falls also. My excitement is growing! D.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:13 PM

I stayed at River Club for 3 nights in 2001 and enjoyed it -- croquet on the lawn at midnight by oil lamps as the hippos chortled in the Zambezi! It's at the colonial end of the spectrum, but tastefully done. The rooms were a real treat, and romantic as anything -- draped mosquito netting, flowers on the linens and pillows, clawfooted high backed Victorian bath tub where you can sip white wine and watch the elephants drink down on the far bank of the Zambezi...and you arrive at the River Club by boat launch.

It's part of Wilderness Safaris, which should give you great comfort. They and CC Africa are the best 'collections' in this part of the world. Their standards are very high, and if River Club didn't keep them up, they'd be out.

The Zambian side of the Falls has been greatly developed over the past 5 years, but the infrastructure is still not up to South African standards, and lags behind Kenya, Tanzania, and Namibia -- especially the game parks in the Livingstone area. The highlights will be the Falls and the Zambezi itself. The sunset cruise is divine, but when I was there they were running day long and overnight tiger fish (tilapia) fishing excursions, with the overnight being a secluded campsite up the river.

I have heard unfortunate things about the 'cultural excursions' to a local village -- high pressure sales of shoddy curios and begging children -- so just double-check that things there have improved (I'm sorry I can't give you a referral to a trustworthy cultural tour in the Livingstone area). Maybe raelond can give some input, as his/her post mentioned a village visit?

Go -- don't think twice about it. You will love it. And congratulations on your marriage!

Kurt

http://afrikatourism.blogspot.com
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Kurt, I really appreciate your input as it brings up another side to the trip preparation that I have not really seen addressed on this forum (or maybe just missed)-- but obviously we are all aware of the problems and heartbreak of the situation in Africa with the aids epidemic, the poverty, and as we have heard and seen in the last month the brutality. I do not want to close my eyes to any opportunity to do something for their benefit. However, I do not want to be transported to a "cultural event" and have children begging. Not only would it break my heart, but I know I would not solve it with a coin here or there nor a coloring book. Can anyone who has been in this situation please respond.- Those of you on this forum who travel so frequently to Africa - how do you approach in a politically correct way this very sensitive and heartrenching aspect of traveling throughout Africa - I don't know how prepared I am for it; and others may feel the same....
any input?
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:25 AM

We visited local villages (the homes where our native guide, Victor and spotter, Philomen, live--not tourist destinations), and the local school, Victor was always with us and acted as our buffer. Also in India when we vistited the local markets in Delhi, and even the Taj, our guide accompanied us. They were firm but not mean when they conversed with the children, touts, and beggars who approached us. The only time we spent really on our own was in a craft market in Lusaka on our last day (wonderful locally made crafts--wish we had had more time and luggage space), we were always under pressure to buy, but we just would say "no" and not allow ourselves to get drawn into conversation if we were not interested. The worst thing is to succumb to entreaties and give someone money. You will quickly be overwhelmed by others. It's sad, but a hard reality. If you wish to make a donation, do it through a non-profit.

SCALEafrica, for example, has been set up by a couple of safari goers who were taken by the needs of Chiutika school near Mfue, and have just started a foundation to aid it.

Jim
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Jim, thank you for sharing your experiences; it is good to get a list of the non-profits that are doing so much in the way of schooling, medical supplies, etc. that is so urgently needed. I imagine there will be someone with us when we are visiting the local villages so I won't worry so much! D.
Old May 26th, 2007, 04:30 AM

Hello,

I just stayed at RC and had a wonderful time. Peter Jones is a fantastic host in the eccentric Englishman mode -- he's been in Zambia for over 14 years and has a lot of interesting stories to tell! Beware the bugle, though...I'd advise you to pass it on if it comes your way

There are basically two types of accommodation at RC -- normal cottages and honeymoon cottages. All of them are situated on the banks of the Zambezi and have great views over the river. The main difference is that the honeymoon cottages are less 'safari' looking (they're yellow stucco rather than dark reeds and wood) and they're on one floor instead of two (the loos in the normal cottages are on the bottom floor -- though ground-floor loos are being installed as we speak). I think both are equally nice in terms of accommodation, but the honeymoon cottages have a little private garden in front which is nice. You can ask for a double bed in the regular cottages as well as the honeymoon cottages. There is also one family cottage with two bedrooms -- this is the only one which can't be closed off with screens so if you don't care for bugs I'd request another room (though there are mosquito nets for sleeping and it has stunning views).

The honeymoon cottages are Rhodes and Livingstone. The family cottage is Litunga.

The food at RC often gets a bad rap (it's described as British, and you can't get much worse than that :-S) but I found it to be quite good -- much more high table than school dinners.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Julian
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Almosthere

Julian, thanks for the update on RC. We will be there next weekend so its good to know what to expect. I guess I will just have to wonder about the "bugle" on my l7-hr flight over! Best, Sam

Old May 26th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Hi Sam,

I'll be posting a more extensive review in a few minutes. The bugle is just that - a silver bugle (Peter is ex-military).

Cheers,
Julian
Old May 26th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Here's the link to the new thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...&tid=35005

Cheers,
Julian