Search

Etosha or Botswana safari?

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Jed
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Etosha or Botswana safari?

We are in the middle stages of planning, and have become interested in Etosha and/or Botswana safaris. We will have 2 nights in a Botswana camp, and 2 nights in Sosussvlei, in addition to the usual cities in SA.

Question - Since Etosha is way out, would it be worth 2 nights, or should we go to another camp in Botswana? Thanks.
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:08 PM

If you decide on Etosha, I would suggest Ongava Tented Camp. I have not stayed there myself but when I was at Sossusvlei Mountain Lodge I encountered many people who had stayed there and raved about. It can be quite an adenaline rush as sometimes at night lions chase game between the tents so it isn't for everyone. It's on my short list of places to visit. Pehaps someone who has stayed there will comment.
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:40 PM

Have you worked out the logistics for this? Even two of these three places in six days would be quite a lot of travel - or do you have your own plane?

Old May 24th, 2007, 07:53 PM

At a minimum, do 4 nights all in ONE BOTSWANA camp......if you have more time do another camp. I haven't been to Namibia, but, i wouldn't go unless i had atleast 10 days at a minimum!!!
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Jed
Original Poster

Kim - I should have made clear that this is part of a 14-16 day Southern Africa trip.
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:47 PM

I did understand that Jed... and even so if you don't have your own plane there are a lot of logisitcs to work out - scheduled flights are quite thin on the ground and with only 6 nights you don't want to be overnighting in Johannesburg or Windhoek as part of it...

The only way I can see what you are proposing is practical (even with 4 nights in Botswana) is if the flight from your camp in Botswana connects nicely with the flight from Maun or Gabarone to Windhoek, and that then still arrives in time for you to make it to Sossusvlei the same day... I'd think that is highly unlikely, but maybe there are just the flights you need .... that's why I asked if you'd worked out the logisitics... otherwise you will be spending the best part of 20 hours travelling to and from Sossussvlei and only have a single day there...

I really think you'd enjoy yourself more doing one country or the other... at the least I'd forget either Etosha or Botswana...

Hari strongly suggests you do the latter .... he doesn't often capitalise ;-)

Paul
(actually kimburu is Swahili and only a username)
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Jed
Original Poster

Paul - Hari - Thanks for the info and practical advice. Asante sana.

tuckeg - Ongava Tented Camp looks good -but I'm not sure Mrs. Jed would sleep at night.

I still just wonder how interesting Etosha is.
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Tuckeg,

Would you stay at Ongava in place of the camps inside Etosha? Or just in addition to. From a wildlife viewing perspective (disregarding comfort of accommodations and cost for the moment) do you think Ongava allows as good of game viewing as Okaukuejo or other places IN Estosha? Thanks for your opinion.
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:48 PM

Lynn, I've stayed in Etosha at two of the camps and unless things have changed a lot (I know they have changed some as I think they now offer night drives) the game viewing that has been described to me at Ongava Tented Camp is much better. I believe they do offer drives during to day into Etosha. There is no comparison between inside and Ongava TC in terms of accomodations, one is basic, one is luxury. Of course you pay for the luxury. So I guess my answer would be that if I could afford it I would stay at Ongava TC. Now if I hear some really glowing reports about the park, I might change my mind.
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:49 PM

Thank you Tuckeg.
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:59 PM

Tuckeg,
I will be at Ongava Tented Camp late July. I will post my trip report when I return. What an adrenaline rush to have lions chasing game between the tents. I would feel privileged to have such an experience. Maybe I will get lucky.
Dana
Old May 26th, 2007, 05:55 AM

Dana,

Some people don't feel that way. A pilot that I knew was scared to death because he was going to have to have to overnight there. Said all he could think about was how thin canvas was. We saw him at the airport when leaving Namibia and I asked him how it went. He said ok, but he was called away so I didn't get to hear the details and find out if he was over his fear. I'm looking forward to your post, have a great trip.

Tuckeg
Old May 26th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Tuckeg-
I will probaby be scared to death as well. I am not necessarily that brave, just a bit of an adrenaline junkie. I think there's likely a higher probability of dying in a plane crash than being killed by a lion. Well, at least that's what I keep tell myself.

To me a safari is an experience with such mixed emotions. While seeing a kill is exhilarating, to me personally it is also very sad. While the circle of life is a necessity it is still difficult for me to see an animal being killed, yet I go back and feel honored if I do see a kill. The opportunity to have lions chasing game around the tents is to me similar. If I want to have the most incredible experience possible, I can't possibly stay within my comfort zone. For me it helps that I am personally more afraid of what I can't see or hear (ie snakes) than what I can see and hear. Hopefully I'll hear the lions once the chase begins (if there is one). I will be more nervous when all is quiet, thinking that lions are lurking silently nearby. And I will probably ask someone to walk me to my tent (I am traveling alone) and stay put for the evening. My only regret is that if there is a chase I will not be able to photograph/videotape it.

I totally understand others' apprehension. We each have different fears. I will probably never go on a mobile tented safari because of my fear of snakes. For others that is the ideal safari. We are fortunate to have so many choices with varying opportunities.

Thank you again for your description. Now I can't stop dreaming about my upcoming trip.

Dana