Search

Entrance to Elephant Plains

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Entrance to Elephant Plains

Hi, Could somebody tell me if you can get to Elephant Plains from Kruger. I don't feel like going around the long way. I sure hope you can. Regards Vicki
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 11:33 AM

We would be interested in the same answer..we are going the opposite way. Thanks
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 02:23 AM

http://www.elephantplains.co.za/images/utility/map.gif

Besides Kirkmans via the airstrip (do-able but not complying with the rules ;-) ) there is no direct access from Kruger to the camps - atleast I don't know of any.
Also because EP is in Sabi Sands and one has to üay entrace fee in order to get to all the camps and lodges in SS.
Ons has to produce the entrance fee slip when checking out of SS!

Happy planning!

SV
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi,I contacted E.Plain and they said that you can enter through Orpen Gate and they emailed me a map,the same map that SV has put above.So kmkrnn I guess if you can enter through Orpen Gate you must be able to exit.We will be in Shingwedzi on the 1st Sept 09 to 3rd Sept and then head for Elephant Plains for 3 days.We will be doing LOTS of driving.
3 Days with friend on a Lion farm.
7 Days Hluwhluwe In Tented Camp.
3 Days in Lower Sabie.
3 Days in Satara.
3 Days in Shingwedzi.
3 Days in Elephant Plains
3 Days in Tshukudu.
Then home to Australia.
Hopefully we enjoy ourselves but maybe a bit rushed.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 06:49 PM

Yes, you can exit via Orpen gate. From the maps, looks like you would exit Orpen and at SA Wildlife College head south to Gowrie gate. Your drive from Kruger Shingwedzi to Orpen gate will take a few hours, be sure and check it out. The other possibility would be to exit at Kruger Phalaborwa gate further north and drive down SA highway to Acornhoek then over to Gowrie gate. The drive in Kruger will be slow, but, the drive out at Phalaborwa would not be the shortest route.

We will be Kruger same time you are down south around camps Letaba and Oliphants. Honk if you see us!!

regards - tom
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM

I kept thinking Tshukudu sounded familiar. We were there in 2007 just for a morning walk with a lion and breakfast. Staying nearby in Hoedspruit. Photo of my sister (her first safari), Carolyn and myself with Chobe our lion companion on the walk. http://tinyurl.com/m59zbl The next photo shows a king cheetah they have. How did you come by wanting to stay at Tshukudu?

regards - tom
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi Tom,
Your photo's are fabulous.The reason we picked Tshukudu was because of the Cheetah and it sounded very good for our last 3 days. Also the couple that we are going with said they thought that there was an animal rehab in the area. What sort of vehicle will you be driving? Maybe I should just wave to everybody that passes and hopefully one of them will be you.How many times a year do you go to S.A. We went 3 years ago for 3 weeks in a different area with Wilderness Safari's. It was great but very very expensive. See you there I hope. Under 7 weeks to go.! Vicki
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 06:26 AM

We went to the Hoedspruit Endangered Species Centre, also known as the Cheetah Project. We took a vehicle tour they have and it was a ride seeing cheetah in large fenced in areas and they tossed in chunks of meat for feeding. That was it. My Fodor's trip report of that and couple other things we did in the area is at - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=35083850

Don't know about our vehicle yet, still have to make reservation with Avis rental in JNB. This will be our third time in Kruger, 2006, 2007 now 2009. We are from California so don't get to Kruger as often as we'd like . 60 days until we head out for the airport!!!

regards - tom
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi Again,
The rehabilitation place that we where thinking of going was Moholololo Rehab. Have you been there? Vicki