Kruger Area

Aug 13th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Kruger Area

Hello,

I will have from December 17 until Dec 21st to visit Kruger Area.

Will leave Johannesburg by car early morning on Dec 17.

Was thinking about staying at Tydon Safari Camp for 2 nights and then go either to Sabi Sands or Timbavati, but I'm not sure where to stay. Don't want to stay at luxury lodges. I'm heading to Botswana for 8 days after Kruger.

Will be better to stay 1 night at Panoramic Route (open to suggestion about places to stay....), then 3 days at Tydon (visiting Sabi Sands and Kruger Park)

Or 2 nights at Tydon and the 2 nights either Sabi Sands or Timbavati?

Please advice.

Thank you,
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:17 AM

How long a drive is it from Jo'burg to Kruger? About 6 hours I think. And longer if you drive into Sabi Sand or Timbavati. Seems to me like you are using up two days or more of the four days by driving? I'd consider flying JNB to Hoedspruit (HDS) on SAA in the late morning, arriving at safari camp in time for lunch and the afternoon game drive. Coming back to JNB, game drive, breakfast, fly SAA HDS to JNB get to JNB by noon to 2pm. You'd have four days in safri camp that way.

regards - tom
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:26 AM

If you don't want luxury lodges, but just very good comfort + good meals + a safari experience that is on par or really very close to Sabi Sands, then there's quite a few options in Timbavati and Klaserie reserves.

Both Reserves are open to Kruger NP, and both share a tar road that goes straight to Hoedspruit airport (IOW it's easy to get from one lodge to the other
or to get to/from the airport: most lodges offer these kinds of transfers for free or at a very minimal cost).

Tom gives good advice; why not fly to HDS? Plenty of safari options nearby, no time wasted to get to them. And if you want you can still hire a car for a couple of days and visit the Drakensbergen.

This way, you'll get much more out of the timeframe you are there.

To name some lodges:
- Africa On Foot, Klaserie
- Gomo Gomo, Klaserie
- nThambo, Klaserie (my personal favorite)
- Simbavati River lodge, Timbavati
- Shindzela, Timbavati (favorite as well)

Here's clickable map of Kruger NP + private reserves. Underneath are more detailed maps. The Timbavati and Sabi Sands maps show traversing rights.

Ciao,

J.
Aug 18th, 2012, 01:16 AM

If you don't need the "luxury" of a private camp, then why aren't you looking at the official Sanparks accommodation in Kruger Park itself? http://www.sanparks.org/. They have an excellent range of lodges, bungalows and rondavels which are inexpensive and simply furnished, but generally have en-suite toilet/shower rooms, aircon and barbeque facilities.

I can tell you from my own personal experience that having your own barbeque outside your rondavel overlooking the Olifants River at dusk listening to the hippos is a once in a lifetime experience hard to beat. If you don't fancy doing your own cooking all main camps have restaurant facilities.
Aug 18th, 2012, 07:26 AM

Agree with Gordon.

regards - tom
Aug 21st, 2012, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I think I'll do 2 days at Kruger Park and 2 days at Klaserie reserve(NThambo or AOF)

Search this Thread