Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Driving from Arathusa, Sabi Sands to Rhino Posts, Kruger ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm attempting to do a route planner for my upcoming trip.
I'll be transferring by vehicle from Arathusa Lodge in N.E. Sabi Sands down to Rhino Post/Plains Camp, close to Skukuza and on the border of Mala Mala.
I understand that Mala Mala will not let people transit through their concession.

Is it possible to drive from Arathusa down to Rhino Post/Plains through Kruger NP, without having to exit at Gowrie Gate, drive all the way round and re-enter via Kruger Gate?
It seems a shame not to use the transfer trip as an extended game drive, so does it make sense to travel this way, or is it far better to exit and then re-enter?

If so, can anyone advise the best route and give directions from Arathusa, through Kruger and down to Rhino Post/Plains?
As an estimate, how far is it and how long should the trip take if there's no stopping?

Any and all advises would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks DRJO
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:02 PM

In September we stayed at Djuma for a couple of days, which is not too far from Arathusa. We too headed for Kruger afterwards, needing to get to Lower Sabie by late afternoon.

It wasn't possible to drive south through the Sabi Sands, but the manager at Djuma sent us north so that we entered at Orpen gate, then had a nice game drive down thru Kruger. I remember we left Djuma at 10:30 and got to Lower Sabie by about 4, with stops for eating and gawking.

She drew us a map and it was a bit tricky, we drove a bit nervously through some small dusty villages and the roads were not really marked, but we did make it.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:58 PM

Nope, for Arathusa (& others nearby like Elephant Plains, Chitwa Chitwa, etc.) I'm pretty sure you can only enter and exit through Gowrie Gate, so Orpen then makes the most sense for entering Kruger.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:03 PM

Been to Kruger three times, love it.
Here's map from SANP,
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/tourism/map.php
SANP has great web site for Kruger, check it out.

From another SANP table the travel time from Orpen to Skukuza is 5 hours. Speed limit in Kruger is typically 50km/hr, 30mph.

Plan any such driving carefully. If you arrive at your next safari camp too late for the afternoon game drive, what you have left is a $1,000 dinner and bed for the night.

regards - tom
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:17 PM

Also, have you talked with Rhino Post/Plains Camp about doing this? Send them an email or even telephone them with your question. And who is arranging your transfer to Rhino Post/Plains Camp, have you asked them?

regards - tom