Search

Eldan Hotel Jerusalem

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eldan Hotel Jerusalem

The website for Eldan Hotel Jerusalem does not give much information about their rooms or their rates.

I am wondering if they have different categories of rooms...like "standard" or "superior". Are the rooms all about the same size? Do they charge more for different rooms?

Do they have an elevator?

I am going to email the hotel for more information. But I am wondering if anyone has been there.

Thank you.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:45 AM

we stayed there this past summer 8/05 The hotel was fine - teh best thing about it is location - it's across the street from teh King David(we had drinks&dessert there one nite!) and walking distance to the Old City (I think Jaffa Gate?) The hotel does have an elevator - it's modern & western. I don't know what our room was, but we were 2 adults and 3 kids (I think we had a jr. suite?) it was fine! they even have a good breakfast in the lobby.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 11:52 AM

My husband and I stayed three nights at the Eldan last month. There are a few rooms on the main floor, avoid them if possible! We checked in late and found our "superior" room had been given away (so much for credit card guarantees) and we were put in a main floor room with one tiny window blocked by bars and overlooking the fire escape. We were also next door to a well-used housekeeping closet. The noise from the lobby in the evening and late at night (vacuuming, furniture moving across the marble floor, etc.) made it a very unpleasant experience. We were moved the next day to a perfectly good room with two big windows overlooking the gas station across from the King David Hotel. (The gas station has an expensive but handy convenience store.) So, it's not a bad place to stay if you get the room you reserve.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Jurisdoctor:
Thanks for these details. It is something I am always concerned about when reserving hotel rooms.

The hotel website really does not give much information. I sent them an email and asked if there were differences in the rooms and differences in the rates.

They replied that all the rooms are exactly the same and all the rates are exactly the same.

However, now that I have your information, I will email them again and ask if they will "guarantee" me a quieter room above the ground floor. (And take my chances that they will honor a "guarantee".)

Thanks again.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:49 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Or you might look at the YMCA hotel, right across the street from the King David. It's affordable, very spacious rooms, and the location can't be beat. Some construction at the moment on the lots to the side and behind, but it shouldn't be a detriment to the rooms. The "Yimka" is a landmark in Jerusalem. http://www.ymca3arch.co.il/

We rent cars from Eldan but their hotels in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv (from the outside, anyway) are not particularly inspiring.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:40 AM

We stayed at the YMCA hotel last November and were not happy at all with the rooms. The building itself is beautiful and very unique, but our room was small, lumpy twin beds only, not very clean, the telephone did not work, there was a major draft coming through the window and the curtains fell off the wall. Also, there was construction right outside our window every morning about 7:30. We certainly didn't expect luxury for the price we paid, but expected a bit better than what we got.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

I have heard nice things about the YMCA in the past. HOwever, I have also been told that at the present time it is in dire need of a face-lift. Otherwise, I would have seriously considered it.

I picked the Eldan because of good location, good rate with breakfast, and because I have heard that so many of the other hotels in the area have not been maintained in the best condition because of the tourism situation in recent years.

Even though as a hotel it is less than "inspiring", from what I have been able to learn about the hotel situation so far, it seems like the Eldan meets most of my requirements.

Thanks for all the comments.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:54 AM

We just stayed at St. Andrew's Guest house ("Scottish Hospice&quot which is a 10-minute walk from the King David. It is tucked away from the street a bit, and if you ask for a room with a view of the Old City it is very quiet. It was a home-away-from home for us. Rates, $65/night. It wasn't luxurious, but very comfortable, clean, and friendly. It was also about a 10-minute walk to the Old City via a walking path away from the road.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:17 AM

Because I was part of a group with an overflow, I was assigned to the Eldan this past May instead of the advertised hotel. What a wonderful surprise! This location is virtually the same as other hotels at which I have stayed in recent years (King David, Inbal (was the Laromme when I was there), David Citadel), but much less expensive. I am kicking myself for spending so much at those hotels when I could have stayed at the Eldan and increased the length of each visit with the money saved. The rooms were clean and comfortable; the staff helpful; the breakfasts delicious; and the location fantastic! I am looking forward to returning there soon.