Earthwatch: Tsvao

Jul 10th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Earthwatch: Tsvao

Hi,
Last year I traveled kenya solo for a month and received lots of helpful info from the people on this site!This year I'm going to Tsavo with Earthwatch.

Has anyone been on one of Earthwatch's expedition - particularly to Africa- and would you please share your experiences?

Thanks,
Sharon
Jul 10th, 2004, 11:01 AM

Hi Sharon, I am glad your going to tsavo. Both? Anyway, I have a friend in Ireland who just got back a short time ago. She did that. She loved it. I think she did 2 there with earthwatch.
Two yrs in a row.
Have you been to TSAVO before? If so how did you do that ect?
I will send a link to my TSAVO PAGES. When you have a little time. Take a look.
Cheers, david

Jul 10th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Here they are Sharon. Enjoy when you have a few mins.
Let me know if you need any info or some contact info. I will try to help.
David

http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/1e53c/1f4b37/
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/1e53c/1f4b36/
Jul 10th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Ciao, David-
Actually, I'm familiar with your great pages at virtual tourist. After I looked at them a couple of weeks ago I called Earthwatch back and booked the trip!!!

How did you like Galla Camp? that's where we will be staying for 12 nights. There are even going to be several 2 am-6 am drives looking for the Cats.
The focus of the trip is behavior of the maneless lions- I guess some of the lions are radio collared.

Haven't been to Tsavo before - a little hard to get to for a solo female traveler.

Once again - great web pages,- I could smell that red dust!
Sharon
Jul 10th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Hi again, will have to get back to you later or Sun. Here is my VT MAIL.
[email protected]
Stop by any time.
David
Jul 10th, 2004, 03:24 PM

Sharon,

I helped put together an Earthwatch project in Colorado a few years ago where we had participants doing butterfly surveys above 12,500 feet. It is a great organization and project conditions really vary by the researchers and location. Our only problem was the work was very strenous due to the high elevation and difficulty hiking. They sent quite a few volunteers that were not really in proper condition for our effort. I think they wanted to fill the spots and did not sufficiently screen for physical ability as they should have.

Our project was probably fairly unique in its difficulty level and we did not continue it beyond the first year. Hopefully, the Tsavo project has gone on for a couple of years so they have worked through the difficulties of utilizing short term volunteers. Most of the folks who came on our project loved the experience and many of them had done numerous Earthwatch Expeditions so I would think you should have a fabulous experience.

Also, as a research biologist I think you will really enjoy the connected experience of focusing on known individuals and getting intimate with their behavior. It is different than just spotting or viewing animals on game drives. I think it should be an incredible and very rewarding time. I hope you will post about the research and the experience when you return.
Jul 11th, 2004, 04:32 AM

Hi Sharon, about galla. That was in late sept 2001. We were able to set up our tents right up inside the rocks.
there wasn't anyone else there. travelers I mean. the camp manager who was gone by 2002. was very nice. there also was this local and his family living and working up there. his name was kalulu. he also was gone by 2002. what was supposed to happen was.
in 2002 after my visit to t.east. I was going to camp up there again. but, it has changed! all the people we knew were gone. they said we couldn't camp up there. so we went to t.west.
any way, it was very cool being up in the rocks.what they had there for the diner, showers was just fine.
but i will tell you. my friend from ireland. she did the lion thing as you are. they didn't see any lions. when she was there there was a lot of green. it had rained some time before. tsavo, is very very big and a lot of bush. you have to be lucky to find them. but it is fun to look.of course there are plenty of other game.
hope this helps.
david
ps, about a female going alone. not to worry. when you go again. you ask for my crew everything will be just fine.
Jul 11th, 2004, 04:39 AM

Sharon, here is the link to one of my pages. There is quite a bit on GALLA CAMP in there.
see ya, David

http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/1e53c/6/
Jul 11th, 2004, 12:08 PM

Sharon, when are you going to be over there?
David
Jul 12th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

TUSKERDAVE:
I'm leaving Montana Aug 23 and the Earthwatch trip at Galla Camp starts August 27 and goes thru Sept 8th.

Looking at your itinerary - I think i will be returning stateside when you are embarking on your journey.

Sharon
Jul 13th, 2004, 04:16 PM

Sharon, it looks like we may cross paths in the sky ,lol. Can't wait to hear about GALLA CAMP again.
Sharon, when you can mail me at:
[email protected]
Ok, catch you again some time.
David
Jul 17th, 2004, 09:07 AM

Sharon, hope your well. Are your plans all set? How much film do you bring? Do you need any thing else in the way info ect? You will be in between the two tsavos. If that makes any sense. If you can, ask for a day trip to tsavo east.
I think the BACHUMA GATE is one nearest you. Sharon, keep in touch ok!
David
Aug 11th, 2004, 12:43 PM

sharon, i have no idea if you have logged in here or not. hope your well. how are the tsavo plans coming? i leave in 28 days. if you can e-mail me at:
[email protected]
like to know whats going on.
thanks, david
Aug 12th, 2004, 04:48 PM

hello, another message from my kenya guide.
thanks

Hi David hope you are well with your duties i am also doing fine with alittle bit of fever but its not that serious you remember when we were talking through phone then my voice was sounding funny it was the beginning of it.
Well well man inspite of this i have been trying to follow closely to what is happening to our heritage wildlife and i have discovered that our minister concerned and his assistand are contradicting one another on the issue hence they are contributing with all this shit but i am happy that kenyan are not supporting it,

Search this Thread