Search

Dubai hints needed!

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dubai hints needed!

I'm making my first visit to Dubai in the second week of June and can use all the useful hints anyone can pass along. What and where to do, see, experience, eat, etc.

A friend from Vienna suggested I stay at the Regent Beach Resort (centrally located and not too expensive). He stays there a couple times each year.

For a real spluge I was thinking about eating at the Al Mahara (The Oyster) Aquarium Restaurant at the Burj al Arab Hotel. Worthwhile?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:42 AM

while i thoroughly enjoyed the oyster restaurant at the burj, i don't think i would go back. there are just too many places to eat and see. the food was excellent. be prepared for a very lengthy evening. it took us 3 hours to have dinner. This was great, but not everyone would want to do that. We stayed at the burj, but if i wanted more budget, i would look at jumeirah beach. it is right across the bridge and much less expensive, but great location and view. Definitely make time to go out into the desert 4 wheeling. shopping in the gold souks is a must do. you will have a blast. the indoor ski mountain is something you should see as well. enjoy! i can't wait to go back.
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:02 PM

I have found out a lot of info over on the tripadvisor forum for the UAE since we will be making a stopover in Dubai also. Definitely check out that board and the Emirates website has some useful info too.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:34 AM

I have researched the Burj al Arab and feel it is a must see and sleep. Actually you can get a room there for $814.00-no breakfast, (U.S.) during August and some other low season months. Be careful, there is also a 10% tax and another 10% tax (basically 20% will be added to the $814. So you are looking at about almost $976.80 U.S. for a night. I feel it is worth it, especially if you then move to another hotel on some great special(s)--then if you dollar cost average you are actually not too bad off. Lastly, at the gold souks-be sure and find out-before you go shopping- the cost "per gram of gold" so that when you are ready to buy you can have them weigh the item and then know how much over the cost per gram you are actually paying. You can also look in the business section of your local newspaper (Tuesday through Saturday) and find the closing price per ounce of gold daily. This price is listed as price per "ounce". Take that number and divide it by 28.3 and that will give you your real cost per gram!!! (as of may 26 the close of gold was $653 per ounce--therefore the price per gram is 653/28.3 = $23.08 per gram!!!!!) You will be way ahead of the game if you follow this plan. That way you can use those savings to pay for the night at the Burj al Arab!!
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the tips. I am ready to fly on Wednesday (the 6th of June). I'm really looking forward to this new destination for this well-traveled gypsy.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:34 AM

I visited Dubai last November, and had dinner at Al Mahara -- I arrived a little early and had a cocktail at the SkyBar. The food was excellent, and they will give you a fish guide -- so you can identify what's swimming in the very large tank.

I also visited each of the other six emirates, Oman and Bahrain. This link should take you to photos from that trip:

http://tinyurl.com/ykmghs

Michael
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM

great pics mike...
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 04:47 PM

I like the photos too!!

My husband is taking my 2 daughters to Dubai on a business trip ao I am starting to do some research on their behalf.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:23 AM

Hi Michael,

I just got back from a week's visit to Dubai yesterday. I loved it! Only trouble is that its too far to go for just a week, from Canada. Too much time spent getting there and all that jetlag. However I can't wait to return, next time for 2 weeks hopefully to make it worthwhile.
I only visited Dubai and Abu Dhabi and didn't get around to the other Emirates as I'd have liked, but I was in the company of a friend who lives there so I got to see and eat at many interesting places off the beaten track.

Liked your photos very much too and it turns out that I have many of the same - or similar - shots as yours (the entrance to the Gold souk, the Burg al Arab, the fish markets scenes particularly the crabs and sharks, etc.) Great shots !

I hope to post some of mine too.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 09:29 AM

Annesherrod-how did the trip go with your husband and daughters? I am thinking of taking my 22 year old daughter with me next week just for 4 days but was wondering with all of the construction,etc. if it was worth it?
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 05:45 PM

They absolutley LOVED it! The construction will be around for awhile with the immense amount of building they are doing.

I think you should go for it -

If you have any particular questions please let us know - DH goes there quite a bit on business.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 10:46 AM

What in particular did he do with the daughters there? Shopping seems to be way out of our league with those prices although we would want to do the souks. How long were they there? Thanks!
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Wonderful pictures!!!!

I really loved the Italian enclave too.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 05:42 PM

Hi,
While my reply is a bit late, it may be useful for future travellers.
The conversion rate for gold grams to ounces is 31.04 - not 28.3. The reason for this is that there are two types of ounces - Troy ounces and Avoirdupois ounces. Troy ounces are heavier than Avoirdupois ounces by about 10%, hence the difference. Avoirdupois ounces are what is used when dealing with pounds and stones while Troy ounces are used when dealing with gold and other precious metals. So be careful when purchasing by the gram and doing any calculations.
Cheers
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Oops - 31.104 grams - a miss of the finger.