Dubai shopping - any tips?

Old Dec 29th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dubai shopping - any tips?

During an upcoming business trip, I will have one free day in Dubai. I'm hoping to see a little of the city - some of the other posts have given me some good ideas for sightseeing.

However, I have a few shopping questions:
1) What sort of local or regional items can I expect to find? I've heard about the gold jewelry, is there anything else? Is this a place to buy rugs? I've heard about all the duty-free stuff, but I'm most interested in items that I can't find in the US.
2) How aggressive are the vendors? If I look twice at an item, will the vendor assume that I'm ready to buy or will I be able to leave gracefully if I so choose?
3) Do I pay the sticker price, or is bargaining the norm?
4) Is it OK for a woman to go out on her own, or should I get one of my male colleagues to come with me?

Thanks for your help,
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 11:16 AM

i believe that you no longer find great duty free bargains in Dubai.

However the gold jewelry shopping is very interesting and good bargains can be found even with the recent increase in gold prices.

Go to he Gold Souk. You can wander the streets alone without fear and will not be pestered by merchants as you might in Istanbul.
The many shops have nice window displays , thus no need to enter shops to get a view of merchandise.
Some shops even have female staff, although most will be men.

Bargaining is welcome and expected. Never accept the first price offered.You can bargain very aggressively and look for significant price reductions.
If not satisfied , it is no problem to leave.

Prior to shopping , check the local papers( some in english) for current gold prices.

I have seen some carpet shops but no bargains.he Dubai Shopping Centers are quite interesting and not unlike an up- scale western center.

Dubai does have special shopping bargain weeks. I believe these tpo be mostly in January where bargains can be found. Other than that period - no great bargains on anything.

Airport duty free advertises grat bargains. Perhaps cigarettes and alcohol- nomuch else.

Old Jan 1st, 2005, 01:22 PM

Have a thick wallet. Try the draw for a car at the airport. $100 to win a sports car, Aston, Bentley ect. Done it a few time...no luck. Also a draw to win a $million. The shopping is very good at the Airport and in town.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely check out the Gold Souk - it sounds like a lot of fun. If I have any money left and I'm feeling lucky, maybe I'll check into the drawings/lotteries.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:24 AM

I maybe going to Dubai for a couple days next month (plans not finalized yet). I'm looking to buy a nice sporty/professional chronograph watch like IWC.

Is the duty-free price in Dubai significantly cheaper than in US?

Thanks
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:48 AM

You can find just about anything here; rugs, textiles, gold/silver, copper coffee pots, spices...pretty much things that are found in the Middle East and SubContinents.

If you have time, head out to the Blue Souq in Sharjah.

The vendors can be aggressive but you will be able to leave gracefully.

At the souqs bargin hard.

You can go out alone and you wont have a problem.

The prices of goods in Dubai tend to be HIGHER than America, but this depends on how much tax you have to pay in your State. I'm from Oregon and can get a better deal there.
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:41 AM
sandi

Like shopping anywhere, and if for a specific item, know the price you'd pay at home. Then set your budget. There is no guarantee you will find items anywhere where you get a real deal.

If no particular item in mind, still know your budget and have some idea of how to evaluate the real price.

Guess, living in NY, where we can find many (not all) foreign items, i.e., French products, for less than in France; same holds true for other things you may wish to purchase. Unless you find something that you know you'd never find at home and at a price you're willing to pay - think before putting down the plastic.

I wouldn't even buy diamonds in South Africa, Israel or Brussels unless I had a recommendation for a reputable jeweler. You have little recourse once you're back home.

Know what you want first and how much you're willing to depart with.

Old Mar 13th, 2017, 03:50 AM

Dubai is the best place for shopping for me it is a heaven. My choice is to go for Dubai Shopping Malls because there you definitely find various offers in each shop.

https://dubaishoppingmalls.com
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 01:57 AM

This is an old thread which has been topped up by what looks very much like a commercial message. Buyer beware.