Airport shopping in Dubai

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport shopping in Dubai

Hi
I have a 2 hour stopover in Dubai on my way to London. Can anyone give me advice on shopping at the airport in relation to cosmetics (say, Chanel #5 perfume and Chanel makeup), liquor(black label whisky) and jewellery Any advice much appreciated.
Thank you.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:27 PM

I spent a few hours at the duty free in Dubai last January and I fondly remember that the prices for Cuban cigars is probably the best in the world! Very inexpensive compare to other places. Don't really know about the prices for cosmetics - sorry!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 05:05 AM
sandi

Like any place that supposedly offers discounted/reduced prices (and Dubai is famous for this) - be sure you know what you pay for these items at home and then compare. If necessary, bargain!

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Vals: you're in for a treat,the shopping at the Dubai airport is like no airport I have ever seen.Our flight left at 3:10am and the place looked like a high end mall at x-mas time.The amount of people shopping is probably an indicator that the prices are good.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 11:17 PM

I did not think the airport shopping was as good as that commercial makes it out to be.
The area is not as extensive as Schipol or Heathrow.

I did price Clarins, and found it to be a bit less expensive than at home. There is only one cosmetics store selling the higher end cosmetics.

As far as jewelry, they do sell the standards such as the M.Frey enameled jewelry that you can get anywhere.

The center jewelry case, under the palm tree, does have the more unusual pieces. Sold by the gram. The more workmanship, the higher the gram price. Most is 22K, and filigree. I am told it is mainly for the Indian folks who come to Dubai to get dowry jewelry. Anyway, there were some unusual pieces.

I do not know about the liquor. Sandi is exactly right saying you must know what price you pay for these items at home. One must also determine whether it is worth lugging a bottle about for a few dollars saved.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 01:42 AM

Queenie:I don't know what airport you're describing but it's not the Dubai airport I was in April 2004.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 02:10 AM

margate-
I was there 3 times in March, 2004.

One of those times was for 5 hours.

In my opinion, it has the same sunglasses, liquor, tobacco, perfume and (overpriced) cd/dvds that most airport duty frees have.

The only unique item I felt was the local jewelry in the case around the palm tree (the one with the suspended UFO above that shot out steam at 30 minute intervals).
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 03:18 AM

Queenie:We saw a couple of dozen high end jewelery stores selling Rolex etc. etc. are you implying that there is one jewelery store?You're the first person I have come across who hasn't been impressed by Dubai shopping.I've been to Heathrow a few times and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't compare.I have no vested interest here as I don't shop in airports,I do hear frequently that Dubai is widely known for it's duty free shopping.I would be curious to hear the thoughts of others.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 05:34 AM

>We saw a couple of dozen high end jewelery stores selling Rolex etc<

Margate, if you saw over 24 jewelry stores there, then you are right, we were in different airports!

And I meant there was only one LOCAL jewelry counter. The rest are standard fare.

Hey, I travel a lot and have seen many duty frees.
Maybe I am just jaded.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 07:49 AM

We travel a bit also,over 20 countries in the last several years.Haven't seen the frenzied shopping like Dubai anywhere else at any time of day let alone 3:00 am.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:17 AM

queenie is not jaded,she's one of those who has a chip on her shoulder and criticizes everyhting she sees.i doubt anyone on this board has travelled more than i do for business and pleasure and mgmargate is correct.dubai is the best of the lot hands down .the prices are the cheapest anywhere.and its ridiculous for queenie to suggest to bargain.its not a third rate oriental souq.dubai's duty free shops are fixed as so many posters announce.queenie must have been in another airport altogether on one of her jaded trips.LOL
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 09:09 AM

Mansam:As I don't smoke or drink I was pretty sure I wasn't hallucinating,thanks for adding some clarity.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou all for your coments - not that I am really any the wiser. I will naturally compare prices with those at home but just thought someone may have actually purchased liquor or cosmetics there. I am sure I will enjoy my short time in what is supposed to be an amazing airport. Certainly don't rate Heathrow as being a great airport but I suppose it rates higher than LAX.
Thanx anyway.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Val S: I beg to differ.The consenus is that Dubai duty free is among the best in the world. Maybe upon your return you can let us know your thoughts.