driving safely in/around Cape Town

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive in Cape Town in mid-December for 4 days. In addition to the V&A waterfront, Robbens Island, and Table Mountain, we'd also like to visit Stellenbosch, the Kirstenbosch Gardens, and Cape Point. I've read differing accounts of driving a rental car. Is it safe for tourists to drive a rental car to these areas, or should we simply book commercial tours to take us. Thanks.
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:44 AM

It's as safe as it is anywhere else. My husband and I have driven all over the Western Cape (all over most of South Africa, actually), and think it's a wonderful way to see the country. Of course, you drive on the left, so you need to be extra vigilant if you're used to driving on the other side. But the roads are for the most part quite good. You'll have a great time self-driving.

Celia
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:23 AM

We spent 3 weeks there in February this year (staying near Simonstown) and drove all around with no trouble. We did take a GPS with us and it was helpful. We were cautioned to avoid driving at night (by several local South Africans) so I can't quite concur with Celia that it is as safe as elsewhere, but driving is very doable.
Old May 10th, 2010, 02:54 PM

We spent a month driving around Cape Town and up the coast. Loved it. Thought the roads were great for the most part, although CT has some pretty twisty turny roads you may not want to navigate after dark. Best to never leave anything, not even sunglasses visible in the car when you leave it parked.
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:47 AM

I reckon that there can be very few countries that have as many 'scare stories' written about them as South Africa....

Yes, of course bad things happen. But 99.99% of all tourists who go there have a fabulous time and come back raving about the country and planning a second trip.

There is absolutely NOTHING dangerous about driving in the areas mentioned in the OP.....yes, certainly take the same sensible precautions you'd take in any country in the world, but don't make deliberate plans to ditch the car after dusk and don't be paranoid.

Thousands of South Africans drive around happily and safely day after day in expensive cars and convertibles without anything happening to them....the biggest risk you're likely to face are taxi mini-buses who don't signal, or the pedestrians walking down the side of the road when you don't expect it (you soon get used to that).

Go there, hire a car and drive to all the destinations that you mention above.

Then come back after you've been and confirm to us how fantastic it was and how you shouldn't have been concerned in the first place...
Old May 11th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all these replies. We're looking forward to our trip - too bad it's still 6 months away!
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:49 AM

I was in South Africa this past December. I felt totally safe and comfortable driving around Capetown! You are going to have a great time!! The botanical garden is beautiful and the drive to Cape Point is magnificent. We got to see a lot of whales along the way. Enjoy!
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:14 PM

You should be fine, really. To be on the safe side, probably do not drive after dark, or park at the Waterfront and then you have everything you need.
For Robben Island, you have to go on a tour - it's the only way to do it - and the tour goes by ferry from the Waterfront. You can book that online in advance to avoid disappointment of it being full (Cape Town gets busy in December).However, Stellenbosch, cape Point and Table Mountain are very easy to do on your own, and I'm sure more enjoyable that way too.