Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Disarmed in Egypt: Misadventures at the Pyramids (Hospital)

Disarmed in Egypt: Misadventures at the Pyramids (Hospital)

Jul 25th, 2003, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Disarmed in Egypt: Misadventures at the Pyramids (Hospital)

We had a wonderful trip planned for Egypt in January 2003 and actually completed one whole day before a "trip" down the stairs in Cairo changed everything. The whole tale can be found at the following url:

http://www.cp-tel.net/war

Click on "Disarmed in Egypt" or go directly by using www.cp-tel.net/war/egypt

Hoping to get photos added soon.

W. A. Robison
Jul 25th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Peep

Oh my! ar ar ar This was my favorite line: "I understand you were going for the pork. That should tell you something."

Hope you've fully recovered! I really enjoyed reading your story!

Jul 25th, 2003, 06:42 PM

Oh my, what a story! What a trip! no pun intended
I want to keep this and read it again and send it to my children. I enjoyed the laughs but I really like your "punch line"...I am happy to read that you are fine and ready to go back!
Scarlett
Jul 25th, 2003, 10:51 PM

I am so sorry about your accident but what an experience! I too was in Egypt about the same time, mid Jan 2003 (american), and your observations about Egyptian culture are so similiar to what I experienced. Thanks for the story, looking forward to your photos!
Jul 26th, 2003, 07:48 AM

Thank you so much for posting the link of your report - I enjoyed it very much. What a wonderful mix of humour and thoughtfulness and the warmth you and your wife feel towards your Egyptian friends was evident.

Wishing you a wonderful return trip to Egypt soon.

Kavey
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:27 PM
wj1

Thanks for sharing. That was a wonderful report. I just feel bad that I enjoyed your misfortune! It's great that you still got a lot out of your trip and are looking forward to going back. I hope you're healing well. Thanks again.
Aug 7th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied to the posting about our accident in Egypt. Unfortunately, after about 6 months of healing and therapy, my bones have still refused to co-operate, so I had to have follow-up surgery the first week of August to do an internal tintanium brace on the fracture. Now, I'm stuck with several more weeks of healing with travel delayed for a while longer. I can only enjoy travel vicariously for a while, so I welcome any e-mail from those of you who can still do it for real. Please just send it to my screen name (warobison) at aol. Happy travels to all.

W. A. Robison

travel page: www.cp-tel.net/war

egypt tale: www.cp-tel.net/war/egypt
Aug 11th, 2003, 12:23 PM

W. A Robinson,
thanks so much for your wonderfully detailed description of your misadventures in Egypt.

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Iran (I posted a trip report on Fodors) and what I found fascinating about your experience was the care and concern of the local tour company...amazing!

Nothing went wrong on our trip but we were overwhelmed by the level of personal service, and concern for our comfort, provided by a local tour company that we too had contacted over the internet. There certainly is an amzing tradition of hospitality in the Middle East.

Hope your recovery goes well
Aug 11th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your words of comfort. I just read your Iran trip report and really enjoyed it. Everyone we've talked to who has visited Iran has loved it, but we were never sure how to arrange it. Thanks for all the tips (in case I ever manage to get to travel again.)

W. A. Robison
Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:38 AM

My gentleman friend who is stationed in Italy is visiting Cairo in just a few weeks. Of course when he first told me this I was a bit worried about what he might encounter. Your story really helped not only put things in perspective but was wonderful reading. I hope you continue to heal and are able to visit again soon!!

Search this Thread