Search

Egypt in 15 Parts

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Egypt in 15 Parts

My first attempt at planning a trip to Egypt fell apart in 1972 and though I saw a lot of the world in the intervening years, it took until late last year before I finally landed in Cairo. I realized as I made the decision to proceed with firm plans and ticket purchase that my timing was, in fact, excellent and in many ways, with experience gained over time, the best possible moment. Huge thank-yous to Fodorites Leo_A, welltraveledbrit & SelfPropelledTripod for their exceptionally encouraging trip reports and TA member GParry who gave me very detailed and personal recommendations on how to spend my time in Luxor.

The last chapter posted yesterday so here's the link to my (non-commercial, strictly personal) blog relating my weeks in Egypt (from my other alter ego, PortMoresby). I hope someone finds it as useful as I did those from the aforementioned adventurers.

PortMoresby In Egypt TravelGumbo
Old May 6th, 2018, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh my, mmeperdu! I’m so excited to see this- I clicked Africa accidentally. I always enjoy your TRs , and Egypt is at the top of my wish list. Off to read🤩
Old May 6th, 2018, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Egypt is at the top of a lot of our lists, for good reason. Do go, soon.
Old May 7th, 2018, 08:54 PM

I agree...Go Now! We just returned and loved it. The people were lovely, the country beautiful.
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 07:50 PM

Hi MmePerdu,
So glad you made it to Egypt and thanks for the shut out above, glad the TR was helpful.

Just started reading your blog posts ad I'm glad you got to see a number of the house museums in Islamic Cairo, I've always loved that area. I was interested to read Le Riad looked closed, we so enjoyed staying there as the location was superb, it was great to walk around at night when many of the Islamic monuments at lit up.

Looking forward to reading the rest of your posts!
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 08:42 PM

Hi mmeperdu, am reading your trip report with interest! I'm headed to Egypt myself in a little bit, was wondering if I can get your advice on my itinerary? (Posted as a separate thread yesterday in the Egypt forum). Much appreciated
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 09:05 AM

have decided to spend part of the winter of '19 in Egypt, mostly in Sharm el Shiakh. we were last in Egypt in the early 90's so am anxious to view the changes. my wife is a bit apprehensive about safety and as we have seen most of the sites, we will stick pretty close to our hotels, save a museum visit or two.
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 09:45 AM

I enjoyed your trip-logue
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 07:05 PM

Your blog

Originally Posted by rhkkmk
I enjoyed your trip-logue
I just finished reading your blog about your trip to Egypt and enjoyed it so much!
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Well, this is a surprise, seeing this pop up. I'm so glad you, Marsh, & others have enjoyed it. I think about Egypt a lot & how much I'd like to go back for an extended visit, to live for a time really. I wish I knew, like many of us, what we'll be able to do in our travel futures. Still a mystery, isn't it.

Old Feb 21st, 2022, 01:53 PM

How timely! I’m now starting to plan a trip to Egypt and Jordan at the end of the year and this couldn’t be more helpful. I just started to read the blog and am looking forward to spending time with it.