Decent Hotel, West Bank, Luxor

Feb 4th, 2019, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Decent Hotel, West Bank, Luxor

Hello,
We have 10 days in Egypt to see the historic sites and are allocating three to Luxor: it seems that it is more peaceful to stay on the West Bank side so I am asking if anyone can recommend a decent hotel please? I realise one can look on booking.com etc but it's being a bit of a thankless task so far.
Feb 4th, 2019, 09:26 AM

I haven't stayed here but a friend who lives in Aswan recommended the Gezira Garden Hotel, also on booking.com.
https://www.el-gezira.com/?hotel=gezira-garden

Otherwise, in Luxor proper, not far from Luxor Temple in a quiet alley in a local neighborhood, I can personally recommend the apartment where I stayed for a week, a beautiful place owned by an English couple who live just above. Freda & Edward couldn't do enough to help me with arrangements of every kind. Book on either of these sites:
Home or
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2957998
Feb 4th, 2019, 11:18 AM

I should also mention, on my return to Luxor and having already booked a place prior to receiving the recommendation for Gezira Garden, I stayed for 2 nights at Beit Sabée, a guesthouse on the West Bank near Medinet Habu. Not recommended, in case you're tempted by their website presentation. It isn't anywhere as nice as it appears in the photos and is far from Luxor. You'd be at the mercy of management making transport arrangements at exorbitant rates. The area around Gezira Garden, especially for a short stay, is convenient, very close to the ferry to town and will be less expensive for other arrangements because of the location.
Feb 5th, 2019, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mme Perdu

the problem is one must be very careful which El Gizira one looks up, apparently there's also the Gezira Garden Hotel which is slightly more luxurious from what a reviewer says.
I don't mind spending more money - are there any relatively more luxurious hotels that anyone can recommend please?
Feb 5th, 2019, 08:17 AM

Yes, it's the Gezira Garden as I mentioned, rather than the El Gezira, that was recommended. I realize that the website is for both. I did take the ferry across and walked around the area one day. It's relatively undeveloped, one might say "peaceful" but also much less interesting and little in the way of restaurants, for instance. I usually prefer smaller towns & countryside when I travel but in Egypt there are definite downsides to an area like the West Bank and I was glad I stayed in town.

Another possibility, if as you indicate you'd like a more upscale version of peaceful, the Winter Palace Pavilion is located in the huge gardens behind the more expensive historic Winter Palace building and I've noticed some very good deals are to be had there. I had lunch in the pool-side restaurant and it really is a world apart from the bustle of town. If I couldn't stay in the apartment, not far from there, I've thought I'd enjoy staying at the WP Pavilion. On the booking sites, they may not distinguish the original building from the Pavilion except by price, the lower priced being in that building. You'd be walking distance to Luxor Temple and I walked back along the Corniche to the area from Karnak & the Luxor Museum, all of which you likely won't want to miss.

I completely understand your impulse for the West Bank but after exploring a bit with that idea in mind myself, suggest you consider the main part of town for the sake of convenience & interest.
Feb 5th, 2019, 10:17 AM

A suggestion, there's a group of very experienced regular visitors to Luxor on the Trip Advisor Luxor forum. I got a great deal of exceptionally detailed information & advice from them as I planned my trip and suggest you pose your question there, if you haven't already. I noticed many of them stay at the WP Pavilion and love it. If my guess is correct, you may not find an upscale place to stay on the WB, but do try your query there as I could be wrong.
Feb 8th, 2019, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again MmePerdu - yes am looking at the Pavilion Winter, also looking at the Steigenberger Nile Palace there - their prices per room are similiar, which do you think is better?
Feb 8th, 2019, 07:00 AM

I have no experience of the Steigenberger, but I don't think you could do better than the Winter Palace Pavilion. Do look at reviews, as I know you are, but in particular because of the garden at the WP, given your priority for peaceful surroundings, that's where I'd stay. It's quite remarkable, one of the amenities the WP is known for and given the loyal following among people who spend relatively long periods of time in Luxor regularly (most are Brits as far as I can tell), it speaks volumes.
Feb 14th, 2019, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks MmePerdu, I have booked the Winter Palace Pavilion, it looks lovely, shall stay there for 3 nights.
Do you have any suggestions where to stay in Cairo, we would prefer a hotel in the vein of the Winter Palace Pavilion but want to stay in Cairo rather than Giza?