Cairo Hotels - any recommendations?

Feb 15th, 2019, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Cairo Hotels - any recommendations?

Hello again, to repeat we have 9 days in Egypt over Easter: we have booked three nights in Luxor at the Pavilion Winter Hotel (thanks to MmePerdu for the recommendation!) and we have also booked our overnight train trip from Cairo to Luxor - BUT, now I am looking for a hotel in a convenient location in central Cairo for our first two nights on arrival in Egypt but I am finding it difficult looking on the booking websites so I am asking for any recommendations on Fodors please.

I would really appreciate any recommendations - we are looking at something in the vein of the Pavilion Winter. Thanks.
Feb 15th, 2019, 08:03 PM

I disagree with "Not the safest place to go..." along with the 5 star only recommendation. I never felt unsafe in Cairo. As in all cities, though, location is everything. I stayed on Zamalek, an island in the Nile and considered one of the best neighborhoods. Cairo, in general, is very run down but Zamalek is leafy, popular with expats and other foreigners and there are several hotel choices. You can look on booking.com or Trip Advisor to see what's there. I like small properties in general and because of the downturn in tourism most of the boutique accommodations seem to have gone out of business, with 1 exception and that's where I stayed, at Hotel Longchamps on Zamalek. I gave it a mixed review which was, in part, my own fault. The superior room where I stayed the last of my 4 nights there was great and comparable to a posh hotel. The standard room was not and it was a mistake on my part. I'd choose the Longchamps again if only for the neighborhood. You can read my assessment here, along with other places I stayed: https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/in-egypt-sleeping
Feb 16th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks MmePerdu, am looking at Longchamps. Yes, Zamalek definitely looks like a good location!
Feb 16th, 2019, 11:41 PM

I stayed at Four Season First at Giza near from city center
Or Ritz Carlton its amazing hotel
Feb 22nd, 2019, 06:19 AM

We stayed at the Fairmont in Cairo. Wonderful hotel.
Apr 25th, 2019, 06:37 PM

To the last two posters: How long ago was your stay in Cairo?
Apr 25th, 2019, 06:38 PM

January of this year.
May 1st, 2019, 07:12 AM

Although it has been 9+ years since my solo trip to Egypt, I loved the Marriott on Zamalek! I stayed 4 nights at the beginning and another 3 at the end of my trip. Sitting on the balcony looking out at the Nile while listening to the call to prayer was incredible. I was able to walk to the Museum and back and all around Zamalek by myself.
May 13th, 2019, 02:54 PM

Marriott Zamalek is a wonderful hotel-the historic palace core alone is worth a visit. The hotel is within walking distance to a number of great restaurants and cafes. Zamalek is right in the middle of Cairo, so you're a stone's throw away from the Egyptian Museum, not too far from the airport.
Some very good alternatives would be Sheraton Cairo on the Giza side-recently renovated with a lot of good dining options.
The very new Steigenberger Tahrir in Downtown Cairo is ideal for those who want to explore Cairo on foot. It's within walking distance to the Egyptian Museum too.