Cape Town August v December

Jun 8th, 2019, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Cape Town August v December

We are in the initial stages of planning for a Cape Town trip. We will probably do a week in Cape Town and then 3-4 days safari in Kuger National Park. We will have to do August or December 2020. If we go in December we will have two full weeks and another plus is that my husband will have a full week where he wonít have to work remotely (I am worried about WiFi access on safari). I am concerned that the Christmas and New Years holidays will not be a great time to travel. Iíbe also heard that safaris are not good that time of year. Does anyone have any input? Thank you.
Jun 8th, 2019, 04:28 PM

The weather will be a factor either way. In December Cape Town can be lovely, even quite warm, or even hot. Kruger, however, will be rainy, very hot, and very humid (and buggy.) In August, it's the dry season in the north, and the absence of foliage will make for better wildlife viewing. No mosquitoes either, so no need for malaria prophylaxis if that concerns you. Cape Town can be rainy and overcast, but it can also be surprisingly nice. If you can manage late August (ideally into September) you might also get some spring flowers; the Atlantic coast north of Cape Town is nothing short of fantastic when the wildflowers bloom.

I'd personally pick August.
Jun 8th, 2019, 07:40 PM

I wouldn't worry about the weather in Kruger in December, we went this past February and all the alarms were overblown. Glad I didn't pay them any mind. The bungalows in the Public Rest Camps have A/C. You start out early in the morning when it isn't that hot. Barely a mosquito to be seen except in the far north. Rains help keep the temps down, and it's lush and green with lots of baby animals. Suggest you talk to a real expert who is familiar with Kruger in all seasons.

The real problem will be "festive" rates around the holidays and availability. If you can afford December and find availability, I"d go that way.

The problem with August is the weather in Cape Town.

Last edited by mlgb; Jun 8th, 2019 at 07:45 PM.
Jun 9th, 2019, 05:59 AM

It certainly does get busy in Cape Town around the Christmas - New Year period, but nothing you wouldn't be able to manage. I was in CT for Christmas a few years ago, and hope to be there again this year.

It can get very cold in the Western Cape in winter, even with snow on the mountains. Most of the time winter in Cape Town is like an average English spring (cloudy with some rain). One point to consider is that every year during July and August for about 6 weeks the Table Mountain cableway is closed for maintenance. This year it will be closed from 8th July to 18th August. You can still walk to the top, but all the facilities around the upper cableway station will be closed.

One bonus for going in August is there is whale watching that time of year (normally from June to November). A popular place for whale watching is Hermanus, just down the coast from Cape Town:
https://hermanus.whale-seekers.co.za...-whale-season/
Jun 10th, 2019, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by hannahsog View Post
We are in the initial stages of planning for a Cape Town trip. We will probably do a week in Cape Town and then 3-4 days safari in Kuger National Park. We will have to do August or December 2020. If we go in December we will have two full weeks and another plus is that my husband will have a full week where he wonít have to work remotely (I am worried about WiFi access on safari). I am concerned that the Christmas and New Years holidays will not be a great time to travel. Iíbe also heard that safaris are not good that time of year. Does anyone have any input? Thank you.
Greetings... I visited Cape Town in December and continued on to a Safari for a 3 week period (December and 1st week in January). The weather was perfect for me. It was warm and a bit humid but not hot or unpleasant. There was no rainfal the entire trip. Lucky I guess. Spectacular views from Table Mountain, visited Cape of Good Hope, Boulders Beach, Cape Winelands and Robben Island before continuing onto the safari. We saw all of the Big 5 by the 2nd game drive of our first day ...everything we saw during the next two weeks was lagniappe and pure JOY! There was usually two game drives per day. Again, at no time was I uncomfortable due to the weather. I was often uncomfortable at the end of the day due to all of the wonderful meals and additional appetizers and sundowners in the bush during evening game drives. BTW, internet connectivity was good throughout the safari.. The only place it was a bit sketchy was in Zambia during a visit to Victoria Falls. We stayed at the Royal Livingstone and for some reason the internet connection was slower than all other areas visited. It existed just a bit slow. This was a few years ago. Iím sure that is probably no longer an issue. Please note I reside in the South USA and warm weather doesnít bother me. Another bonus... summertime = less clothing layers to pack. You will have a wonderful time in August or December.