Search

Cape Town - August or November?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Town - August or November?

Hello Fodorites!

I have the opportunity to go to Cape Town for a week either at the end of August or mid November. Which month would you recommend? I'm interested in going whale watching (would they still be around in November?) and also doing a day safari at the Aquila Private Game Reserve (unless there are any other recommendations). When would be the best time to see the wildlife?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 11:16 PM

Hi dmjapril,

I would reccomend the end of August if you want to go whale watching however my first recommendation would be mid November in that the weather will be better than August. I suppose it all depends on how important whale watching is to you relative to seeing the rest of Cape Town so this is a decision you will have to make.

Cape Town and its surrounds do not fall into the category of a good game viewing region. Aquila is probably your best option to see game out of a bad set of choices within a 200 km range from Cape Town. In my opinion Aquila is a place to see wild animal that is equivalent to three steps up on a zoo. It is the sort of place that once you have been on one game drive you will have seen all and just in case you have missed out on one or two specie you will see these on your second game drive inclusive of seeing all the other animals that you have already seen once again.

Furthermore I also think that Aquila and Cape Town will probably be better to visit in November than August as it could be raining hard enough for you to hardly see anything in front of you in the August period. I know thatbthis would result in a tough call on having to miss the whales if you go down this route but cest la vie thats the way it goes when making decisions about visiting any place in the world especially Cape Town.

Hope this helps you in your decision making process.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:18 AM

When does the rain normally stop in Cape Town? Would it be drier weather by early to mid September?
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply Selwyn. I'm still trying to arrange my flights and I was just wondering if I would still be able to see the whales if I travelled around the 3rd week in Sept.

I know the temperatures will still be quite chilly but what is the rainfall like at that time?
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:27 AM

Melissaeric.
Rains generally tail off toward the end of August. September is arguably the finest month in Cape Town, lull between the prevailing south eater and north westerly winds. Typified by classic blue skies, temeprate weather.

DMJAPRIL.
Whales are in the bays around the peninsula and eastward up until end November/mid December.
Temps are great, warm days, cool evenings. Great time to be in the mother city.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mkhonzo.

I would also like to see the penguins at boulders beach but I have read that they spend a lot of time at sea during August/Sept feeding. Do you think I would still be able to see them mid Sept?
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 02:03 PM

I have no doubt they will be there, that is an active and growing colony. I am unsure about "taking off" for a two month binge, seems they'll be on shore and some off shore.
If you are adventurous, there is a kayak operator than runs day trips out of Simonstown, would make a novel way of seeing the colony, dont you think?
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

That sounds like a great idea mkhonzo!!! Any idea what the operator is called?
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 02:54 PM

When I typed that I was afraid you were going to ask.
I'll send an email back home and should have an answer for you tomorrow.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Hey, what do you know, a quick google seasrch produced this, however I have no idea about their competancy etc.
http://www.kayakcapetown.co.za/