Cape Town Accommodations Near Convention Center

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I am looking for a hotel within a very short walk to the Cape Town International Convention Centre. I am going for a conference that will be held at the Convention Center (in late Nov/early Dec 2007) so it is important that I am within a short (5 min or less) walk of the meeting. I also am on a very tight budget. I may or may not be sharing a room with a friend, so I may be a single woman traveling alone so I want to make sure the area I stay in is safe. The conference website suggests Cullinan Hotel, Southern Sun V&A Waterfront, City Lodge V&A Waterfront, and Hollow on the Square Hotel & Suites. The last option looks the best to me (the first two are likely too expensive). I wanted to get some fodorite perspective on these places or other viable options since I know many of you have been to this area. Any thoughts on the conference suggestions or on any other nearby options?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Really no suggestions? Can anyone out there shed some light on this for me?

Thanks.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:18 AM

Hollow on the Square is a bit of a 'functional' hotel without much charm, but it is well located, clean and the least expensive of your options.

I suggest you also consider accommodation in De Waterkant, which is a 10 minute walk and gives you more options. Cape Town Lodge is another good choice to consider if you're willing to go for 10 minutes' walk.

There's Protea North Wharf too, which is self-catering apartment/suite accommodation, right next to the Cullinan. Take a look to see if that suits you. (proteahotels.com)

HTH

Kurt

--
afrikatourism.blogspot.com
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions, Kurt. I noticed that the Southern Sun V&A Waterfront was actually cheaper than I thought when I looked at the online prices (versus the so-called deals worked out through the conference). It is cheaper than the Protea North as well. Do you know anything about this hotel? How does it compare?

Thanks! I appreciate your recommendations.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 11:04 PM

It's well located and used to be a Holiday Inn before Southern Sun bought them out in SA. A good choice, and if the price is right then don't think twice about it.

The Protea North Wharf is brand new and mini-suites, located right next to the Southern Sun V&A.

Kurt
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 11:27 PM

The Holiday Inn brand has been owned by Southern Sun since 1985, after they bought it from the Rennies Group. Then in 2005 they rebranded most of the Holiday Inn hotels to the Southern Sun Hotels and Resorts brand. Their website also says "upgraded", but I can't comment on that. The Holiday Inn brand here was already perhaps a higher grade than in some or even most countries.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Arthur and Kurt! I appreciate your suggestions and information.