Moderate priced Cape Town hotels

Old May 10th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moderate priced Cape Town hotels

We are planning a trip to South Africa and will spend several nights in Cape Town. The hotels in the Waterfront area are out of our price range. We will not rent a car, but would like to be within walking distance of the Waterfront, restaurants, entertainment, etc. Would really appreciate recommendations of decent, moderately priced hotels - maybe in the City Bowl area that are in a safe location. Something in the $100 - $125 per room per night range. I notice that often the hotels give pricing on per person rather than per room. Thanks - you guys are always right on!
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:35 PM

Arielle,

Very important question is when are you visiting Cape Town? I am asking this as the hotel rates change quite dramatically as the seasons change.

Another 3 important questions:

Do you have to stay in a hotel, wont a homely B&B (guesthouse) serve you as well?

Will a self catering suit your needs?

How many of you will be travelling?

Once you let us have this information we should be able to answer you more accurately with hopefully some good advice.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old May 11th, 2007, 05:39 AM

Might look at the City Lodge V&A. It is a business hotel located about 5-10 minute walk to the V&A waterfront. Stayed there about 18 months ago for 3 nights and it was very serviceable. Yes, many of the hotels quote per person rather than per room.

Great City
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Selwyn: We will be in Cape Town (2 of us) in March. We are not set on dates yet, but it will not be during the cycle tour. We are most comfortable in your basic hotel room and it's a plus if they include breakfast. Self catering not necessary as we will eat meals out. Looking forward to your guidence and input. Thanks.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

I just looked at a map of hotel locations in Cape Town and noticed an area called Green Point. Don't know why I haven't explored that avenue yet. (DUH!) Any recommendations/suggestions/advice about staying in this area? Our criteria are moderate price, clean, safe, walking distance of Waterfront, restaurants, entertainment. Included breakfast a plus, but not absolutely necessary. Absolutely need en-suite bathroom!
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:24 AM

Green Point has a bit of construction as they are building the stadium for the World Cup, but good for smaller establishments.

Anything not right in the Waterfront will present a savings.

John S.
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:03 AM

I would definitely second Selwyn's recommendation to opt for a guest house instead of a hotel. We spent 5 weeks in South Africa in 2004 and spent about half of that in guest houses in Cape Town, the Winelands, the Garden Route and also St Lucia.

Without exception we were amazed at the great value of these establishments. All our rooms were very spacious, beautifully decorated, well-furnished and maintained (no old, saggy mattresses etc), with clean, spacious, en suite bathrooms. The prices were about half of the price of an equivalent hotel room, sometimes less!

If that appeals, I'd do some searches here in the forum for recommendations. I'd also take a look at the website of Portfolio Collections which was one of my starting points. After narrowing down my choice there I searched the web for the owners' own websites and contacted them directly which enabled me to negotiate discounted rates rather than pay the rack rates listed on Portfolio Collections.

Best of luck
Kavey
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

After reading the posts and exploring the possibility of staying at a B&B or a Guest House in Green Point, I am leaning toward that possibility - many of them appear to be very charming. I realize that the photos they show on their website always look so fabulous, but in reality, can be disappointing. So now I am asking for recommendations at specific places that would meet our budget requirements, are in a safe area, walking distance (15-20 min?) to Waterfront, etc. I did check Portfolion Collection for some ideas, but would like even more possibilities to choose from.
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:37 PM
mad

We LOVED 18 on Crox in the Greenpoint section. There are only 3 rooms and they're meticulously decorated with every amenity. Wonderful, extremely helpful hosts as well. Right in your price range, with breakfast included.
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:43 PM

In October of 2006, we followed Selwyn's
recommendation and stayed at David's in Green Point www.davids.co.za and were quite happy with our room, nice breakfast, and being close enough to walk to the waterfront. (About a 20 minute walk). The staff at David's were helpful in providing information and calling for taxis if needed. We were fortunate to have Selwyn for touring the Cape Town area one day. It was a wonderful outing, and you will never find a better guide (or gentleman) than Selwyn. We used GreyLine for a township tour another day. (Selwyn was not available). Good luck.
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:00 PM

Another lovely, reasonably priced B&B is Liberty Lodge. It's in the Tambeorskloof section, about a 15-20 minute walk to the waterfront and is on a side street just off the road to Table Mt. The B*B has four beautiful guest rooms, with breakfast, and gorgeous city and Mt. views from the terrace. I woke up early one morning to the most spectacular sunrise. There are also a few restaurants just a block or two away.
It was sold 6 months ago - I received a friendly email from the new owner, Ruth Parsons, and she sounds very lovely. www.libertylodge.co.za
Also check reviews on Trip ADvisor.com

BTW, the Waterfront is very touristy and not that interesting. You might find that you don't want to spend much time there and might enjoy some of the other CapeTown neighborhoods more.
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Sorry, that's TripAdvisor.com
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:24 PM

Check out the following link. It has a variety of accommodation across South Africa, inc. Cape Town.

http://www.portfoliocollection.com/
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:21 AM

Try
www.wheretostay.co.za
and www.capestay.co.za

agree with Selwyn and co a guest house does sound like the best option - also look at Junction Hotel in green point and also places like the Holiday inn and the cullinan both at the entrance to the waterfront. Also look at City Lodge right by the V&A waterfront as Jerry said

www.citylodge.co.za
Room rates for March 08 not available yet
For June at the V&A city lodge a room is R741 or $104. This is per room, not the very irritating per person thing, and there are no extra charges on top such as tax etc.
There is nothing wrong with a city lodge - clean, pleasant and convenient

As far as the waterfront being touristy, it really depends on who you are and what you want to do, my teenage children love the place, my husband and I appreciate the excellent restaurants and my 70year old mother loves the shopping so go figure - check it out yourself
www.waterfront.co.za

Tamboerskoof is not a walk to the waterfront - it is the very top of town on the slopes of table mountain

good luck - there are many excellent choices - have fun with the planning
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:52 PM

I did the walk one day from Liberty Lodge to the Waterfront. It was quite do-able going down - going uphill is most likely not as easy.