Off to Afree-kah again (Sandi)

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off to Afree-kah again (Sandi)

It's been a long year and though I had hoped to have been back sooner... didn't happen. Better late, than not!

Believe I'm set with the following:
May 24 - Lv. JFK, via Emirates (great fare, that as soon as I saw this $200 less than a week earlier, booked in a "NY minute.")
May 25 - Arv. NBO - dinner with friend/associate o/n Panari
May 26 - Fly to JRO; w/friends - o/n Kibo Palace
May 27 - Drive to Tarangire; not ideal time to visit, but it's been a few years and have to check props; haven't seen Treetops since redone; Kikoti added new tents; River camp; no Swala or Oliver's as still closed in May - o/n Treetops
May 28 - Tarangire - o/n Treetops
May 29 - Fly to Wilson - o/n House of Waine (of course)
May 30 - Fly to Mara - o/n Saruni (of course, for great Italian food and friends)
May 31 - Transfer - o/n Serian
Jun 1 - Transfer - o/n Olonana
Jun 2 - Olonana
Jun 3 - Transfer - o/n Explorer
Jun 4 - Explorer
Jun 5 - Fly to Wilson - o/n Ngong House
Jun 6 - Fly to Tsavo - o/n Campi ya Kanzi
Jun 7 - CYK
Jun 8 - Transfer - Ndolwa House
Jun 9 - Ndolwa House
Jun 10 - Fly to Wilson; Emirates home

Busy, busy, busy, yes, but.......... Departure, can't get here soon enough. Like everyone else, I count down the days.

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:48 PM

Sandi-
Have a wonderful time. It looks like a really nice itinerary. I'm so totally jealous.

Luca and Antonella at CYK just welcomed a new baby boy on April the 3rd, Jacopo Guido Belpietro. And since I can't be there please give him a "welcome to the world" kiss for me and give a hug to their daughter Lucrezia.

You will love spending time with them. They're a lot of fun.
And you might as well give a hug to Luca and Antonella too. Heck, hugs for everyone!

Enjoy your trip!

Sandy

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Have a wonderful trip and looking forward to hearing all about it when you return!
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

... a new baby. How wondeful. Thanks for the heads-up.

Yes, I'm really looking forward to meeting both Antonella and Luca, and already have regards from others. Likewise Marcus and Shikha at Ndolwa. There's gonna be lots of XXXXXXs all around Afree-kah.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:18 PM

Well, I'm sending xxxxs to you and your friends from here. Have a wonderful time!!!
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:28 PM

Have a great time! I have to go and look up Ndolwa House now
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:46 PM

so glad you are going again. We so much appreciate the advice you give us. Your checking places out for us is very helpful.

Kevin from California
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Looks a bit whorlwindish (new word) - perhaps you could consider adding an extra day here or there

Not really, although I do have one suggestion - I think you should bring me along to write your trip report minutes. Two problems solved in one - relief of my "I have to wait too damn long to go to Afreekah anxiety" and assurance to your fan base that your report will be turned in in a timely manner.
I pack light!
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 04:00 PM

Forgot to critique... that's a lot of back to back 1 nighters, you're jumping all over the place, and the worst offence I see 3 wasted nights transiting through Nairobi :0

Just
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 04:45 PM

sandi - Ndolwa House & Ndolwa Wildlife Sanctuary, are these new names for Kishushe Lodge & Kishushe Sanctuary?
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:34 PM

Lovely itinerary, Sandi. Busy, but lovely.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:36 PM

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:00 PM

Sandi, you lucky dawg! I have to wait until September! I bet your trip will be fantastic as usual! Have a great time. (my next-next safari will be just enjoying it like you do!)
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 09:32 PM

Congrats Sandi, looks like a great trip, and as Kevin said - we do appreciate you checking out all of the properties to report to us! And some of the names, I haven't seen before, so will anxiously await the trip report of nthem.

Looks like for the 2nd year in a row, you & I 'kinda' cross paths in Afree-kah! I checked carefully though, there is nothing where we are in the same town or park at the same time - almost in Nairobi, but out by a day! Perhaps we can fix that next year!!!

....mistakes in my post compliments of a cat sitting on the keyboard as I type....
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 02:18 AM

Good for you, Sandi -- sounds like a wonderful time.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all.

LyndaS - yes, did think about you and thought we might cross paths, but doesn't look like it will happen, again! Better planning next time.

Serian - unfortunately, Alex will be off filming rhino (good for him), but knoww his crew will take good care.

Ndolwa House www.ndolwa.com is in the direct opposite direction from CYK, down near Lake Jipe. About 3/hrs by road. Owned by the brother (Marcus) of the owner of Shompole; a totally different experience, more rustic (with all amenities), but so many animals right on the property, especially those death howling bush babies. With luck I may even get to play with one. Also, pangolin. Understand Marcus is a real Dr. Doolittle... should be fun!

Sherry - Whorlwindish! Kind of, but have to make the most of my time. Though if you can pack yourself into one of the clown-type litte suitcases, you're welcome to join!

Patty - One-nighters! Though I do my utmost to avoid these for clients, but for moi, of course; I need "Juice" for the hair blower

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 07:21 AM

I know it is about time for your annual "May/June" journey, but somehow I missed this thread!

We will again miss each other by only a few bad roads - I am always on the "opposite side" of your locations!

Sandi, could you do us a favor and check out the fence situation at Explorer. Is there one or not? Some swear high and low there is a fence. I have not seen it!

And can you please take pics of the planned new tents on the opposite bank at Serian? (if completed at the time of your visit). And the new rope bridge?

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 07:52 AM

Wish I could come along!
Travel safe!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Eben -

You really want this to be a "working" visit for me? Ugh! Will print out your request and add it to others. You'd be surprised how many "to do" items I have from everywhere/one. No GPS points? Oh, you already have those. So much for a relaxing holiday

Kavey - Thanks. It's been awhile; nice to see you posting again!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 01:38 PM

sandi - Have fun! It's a tough job but someone must do it!?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information