Search

Goodearth Tours

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodearth Tours

We are considering a safari in Kenya and Tanzania during January, 2008. One tour that looks promising is operated by Goodearth Tours. If you have ever traveled to Africa with this company, can you please give us your comments about the experience? Also, we are open to other safari recommendations in Kenya, Botswana or South Africa. Thank you.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 07:55 PM

NoCa,

I am, by no means, the resident expert of the forums, but I'll tell a bit of my experience.

I, too, am going on safari to Kenya/Tanzania in January, 2008.

I don't know which itinerary you're looking at with Good Earth, but I see two that actually indicate that they are a combo safari.

My issue with these itineraries that that they are basically a 2-week itinerary, but the first two days and the last day+ are travel days. Have you not already paid (whether $$$ or FF miles) an airline to get to Africa? Why then, pay the TA, tour operator, or whatever to travel?

Additionally, both of the combo itineraries have a night in Nairobi in the middle. Not something I would personally want to do. Maybe some people like a "break" in the middle.

The 14 day/13 nt itinerary seems very expensive. when taking into account that travel days are included. In this itinerary, also, is a night at Mbuzi Mawe camp in the Serengeti. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that camp is too far north for January...if you're trying to see the migration in the Serengeti. I asked about it for my plans, and was told it's probably too far north (probably being the operative word, as we never KNOW where the migration will be)

I have a full 18 days of safari in January 2008 for less $$$ than the "nicer" of the two Good Earth itineraries. Not to mention, the last 7 nights, I am a solo traveller (which is more $$$) I have two internal flights in my itinerary as well. I get picked up at NBO and go directly to Samburu...like I said, full 18 days of safari.

I will find the thread where I've posted my itinerary so you can compare if you like.

As I said, I am a novice, and I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice. Just sharing what I've learned since the time frame was the same, etc.

Shane
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 07:59 PM

Here is the link to my "planning thread" My "final" itinerary is toward the bottom of the thread.

http://tinyurl.com/2hzzo3

Shane
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 08:38 PM

We used Good Earth Tours in July, 06. We found them to be wonderful to work with. Narry, on the state side set us up with a personal itinerary that worked out fantastically for our group of 10. The 3 safari guides we had and the climbing guide up Kili were all very professional and accomodating, not to mention friendly and helpful! In all of the research we did, Good Earth was by far less expensive than some other operators. We stayed at most of the same lodges as other operators were suggesting, but paid less. Hope this helps!
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:00 AM

I haven't gone yet, but Good Earth has been great to work with. I didn't look at any "packaged itineraries as we built our own Safari based on where we wanted to go. Not that much more expensive really. But that's us, I doubt we'd ever take a package trip.

Anyways, Narry is great to work with, offering suggestions and tips.

I'll report when we get back, but I have high expectations based on their service so far. Leaving in 25 days!

enjoy,
Duane
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 05:26 AM

We are scheduled for a trip with Good Earth in September 2007. After a lot of research we choose Good Earth as they appear to have a solid reputation and their price was very good. We took a sample itinerary from another company and made some adjustments and had Good Earth price the tour for us. A private safari with them is an extra $150 per person for the trip (not per day).

Good luck with your planning,
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Oh oh I am so far behind on the index, but take a look at

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34860283

There are a few reports listed in the index of people who went with GoodEarth.

That reminds me - note to everyone - I'm leaving the paperback at home and taking the trip reports along for my bus ride & getting back to getting the index up to date!