Arusha

May 14th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Arusha

A few questions. On our way to start our safari We are scheduled to spend one day and 2 nights in Arusha. Firstly, is this of any interest. Secondly, were is the best hotel. We are travelling in August family of 4, ( 2 adult kids) is the Arusha Hotel, Arusha Coffee Plantation or Onsea House best. Have heard many conflicting reports. Love the nicest hotel.
May 14th, 2011, 10:49 PM

As I mentioned before, don't know these but the African Tulip is very very nice.

regards - tom
May 15th, 2011, 01:05 AM

Arusha Coffee Lodge was where we stayed a night, thought it very nice. Decent accommodation, pleasant grounds, friendly service and nice enough food.

We only did one night, would not want two in Arusha, personally.

There are a few shopping opportunities, but nothing particularly worth losing a day for.

Are you flying onwards from Arusha to next place or driving? If driving between any of your locations, you can ask your driver if you pass any other craft stalls/ shops instead.
May 15th, 2011, 03:17 AM

Arusha Hotel the only true 5 star best for me

Check TA ratings below for details

www.otel.com/hotels/arusha.htm
May 15th, 2011, 07:27 AM

You've basically asked this question in another thread. Wonder what the conflicting "reports?"

Arusha Hotel is smack in the middle of town.
Onsea House is about 5/min outside arriving at Arusha town, from the JRO airport.
Arusha Coffee Lodge is at the farthest end of town (south), near the Arusha airport (good if you'll be flying to safari locales) and on the road heading out on safari (if driving).

They can all be considered best, though different. The first is a "hotel." The second, a small B&B. The third, individual cottages on a coffee plantation. You won't go wrong with any of these. Arusha Coffee Lodge is likely the most expensive, but doesn't necessarily mean "the best."

As "cary999/tom" mentions, African Tulip is another lovely small (about 25/rms) hotel in middle of town, at a good price; lovely large rooms, restuarant, few shops, pool.

As to the 2/nts-1/full day, appears to be:
- 1st nt on arrival
- 1st day follows arrival to catch up from jet lag or possible delayed luggage... activities if you wish
- 2nd nt is evening of 1st day

you then depart on safari morning of 2nd day. This is not an unusual schedule.

If you wish activities on the 1st day, you can arrange thru tour operator, a visit to Arusha Natl Park for walking or canoe safari, with some game not likely to be found on safari, though no predators... nice intro to upcoming safari (the most expensive); OR, maybe a village visit at Il N'gwesi or other near Mt. Meru (these 3/options closer if staying at Onsea House or Arusha Hotel, rather than having to drive back thru Arusha Town where traffic can be horrific.)

Toss a coin!
May 15th, 2011, 07:56 AM

Two nights in Arusha before safari is exactly what I did in Feb. Much like sandi says. The KLM flight into Kilimanjaro (JRO) from Amsterdam (AMS) gets in night time 9:30pm. By the time you get through the madhouse visa mess and drive to Arusha it will be after 11pm. I wanted the next day to relax and sleep as much as desired after my 11 hour time change from California. And 32 hours door-to-door of travel. The next day while I was looking, relaxing around the hotel my safari outfitter Sanjay from Roy Safaris introduced himself and asked me if I'd like a little (complimentary) tour around Arusha. Sure, so one of his guides took me out, we drove through town, stopped at the Cultural Center. Town/Arusha not much to see but interesting to see once. The Cultural Center is a nice little complex for selling souvenirs. Then drove little more into countryside then and back

Finally, that night my safari companions arrived from Amsterdam where they had spent a night in transfering flights from USA. Next morning started our safari by driving to Lake Manyara.

regards - tom
May 15th, 2011, 02:42 PM

Sorry to jump in but from what I read on several websites Onsea does not have Air Conditioning and Tulip and the Arusha Hotel do as does one that starts with Kiki (4*). I am only asking because I to will be arriving on my flight at the same time in Feb. and 11 PM is probably right if not later. I just want assurance that if I did not sleep well on the flight from Europe that I can pop a pill and have a good nights rest.The website of Onsea was not clear.
May 16th, 2011, 09:50 AM

A/C - as with most of East Africa, the nights/mornings are cool and so I've found that sleeping has been very comfy. That said, however, I've never been in February which is their summer and nights might not be as cool as if in June or October.

Onsea is lovely and if not a/c, they may have ceiling fans which I feel would be more than what would be needed to provide a good night's sleep.

Best though, contact them and ask whether - ceiling fans or indeed a/c - neither of which are reflected on their website.