Search

Comments on this itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comments on this itinerary

Hello all,
I'm planning a trip to Tanz and Rwanda, possibly spending a little time in Kenya and would like some opinions of this itinerary. I can travel anytime I want and have up to 12 weeks (although I'm looking to spend 3-4 wks) in Africa. Right now we are planning to leave last week of July but like I said we are totally flexible.

Day 1: Arrive--Onsea House
Day 2: Arusha National Park--Onsea House
Day 3: Tarangire-Boundary Hill Lodge
Day 4: Tarangire-Boundary Hill Lodge
Day 5: Lake Manyara-- Lake Manyara Tree Lodge-
Day 6: LM-Plantation Lodge
Day 7: Crater-Plantation Lodge
Day 8: Serengeti-Migration camp
Day 9: Serengeti-Migration camp
Day 10: Sayari North
Day 11: Sayari North
Days 12-14 Zanzibar-Pongwe
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 01:32 PM

Day 7, you might consider staying on the Crater Rim at either the Serena or Sopa lodge. The Plantation Lodge is near Karatu and you'll be backtracking on Day 8 going to the Serengeti.

I like Pongwe... nice beachfront lodge. I'd suggest adding a night in Stone Town at the Serena, Tembo House, or another place and doing a tour of the town. Then, you're close to the airport for your departure.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 02:55 PM

It appears that on Day 7 the OP will be doing crater drive early and then departing area for o/n at Plantation. Does make for faster "get on the road" towards the Serengeti Day 8. However, Plantation is a bit of a drive back towards Karatu. You might want to consider Farmhouse, a bit closer when exiting the crater and next morning to be on your way to the Serengeti.

Know that the drive on Day 8 will be long.

On Day 14 or 15, whichever your departure date, you can after breakfast drive via Stone Town and do the Town Tour before heading to ZNZ airport and onward.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 05:34 PM

The safari part looks good. Don't know about Pongwe. Where will Rwanda come in? At the start would be better than the end IMO.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

We may do Rwanda after our Kenya visit. Those pieces of the trip are not worked out yet. Why would you do Rwanda first?
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your itinerary looks good to me. I've read numerous positive things about Pongwe, wanted to stay there once years ago and they were fully booked. I'd definitely include a night or morning in Stone Town. It's a pretty unique place.

I'm headed out to Rwanda in June before a quick safari in Kenya. Unlike you I don't have up to twelve weeks. And I'm envious!

Good luck with your planning.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 07:46 AM

Safari is a rather sedentary (sp) activity... game drives, in vehicles, many some bush walks... not much physical, which Rwanda would be. Why it's often recommended to do the more physical activity up front, then you can slow down during safari. And, then really chill on the beach.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 04:27 PM

Yep, that's why. If you do any training for the gorilla hikes, you don't want to be inactive for a week or two and then hike up the hill.

If you have BOTH time and money for twelve weeks, I'd spend at least 30 days in Africa. Then you could do even more.