Tanzania booked for Jan-Feb-any suggestions?

Old Aug 1st, 2010, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanzania booked for Jan-Feb-any suggestions?

I am provisionally booked for this itinerary which will be a mix of wildlife and cultural activities and if you have any comments/suggestions, I'd love to hear them. it is all driving except for one flt from Ndutu to Arusha then a land transfer to Sinya.

Arusha Hotel-2nts with one day spent at Arusha Nat'l Park

Maramboi Tented Camp-3nts

Ngorongoro Farm House 3nts

Kisema Ngeda Camp-3nts

Lake Masek Camp 4nts

Kambi ya Tembo 3nts

Arusha Hotel 1nt

As you can see, it is a lengthy trip and I wanted a good mix of activities for over 2wks. Thx for any advice!
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 06:26 AM

Guess a typo, but I count almost 3/weeks (not 2/wks).

Nice to be able to stretch out your stay.

Note that Maramboi Camp at Tarangire is located outside the park by about a 20-30/min drive (that would be each way, every day)... something to consider.

Ngorongoro Farm House is also located outside the crater, thus if doing afternoon or morning crater tours, you have to pay another daily fee to enter the NCA. You might want to consider spending at least 1 or 2/nts on the crater rim, so no in/out fees @ $50/person.

Kisima Ngeda is lovely, but know that it's a long drive on bumpy dusty road to/from. With 3/nts it won't bee so difficult on the body.

Lake Masek is a good choice, but I'd add 1-2/nts here, maybe taking from Tarangire or Ngorongoro.

Flying from Ndutu to Arusha for road to Sinya - drive time will be about 4/hrs.

When concluding at Kambi ya Tembo, and assume you're departing for home from JRO, instead of traveling all the way back to Arusha for 1/nt (still 1/hr back to JRO for flight), stay at KIA Lodge right outside of the JRO airport.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi. I chose Maramboi to be closer to the tribes who live nearby since I can't just be in a vehicle for this length of time and want cultural activities too. Also, from the Farmhouse, I will be doing a variety of things, not just the crater.

I was told that by flying from Ndutu to Arusha then driving to Sinya, that the drive time would be about 2 hrs?

Will have 1nt and 1 dayroom at the end.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 07:00 AM

From ARK airport which is at the very southern end of Arusha, you have to drive thru town (often very very crowded mid-day... taking 30+/min), then it's 1/hr to JRO, and another 2+/hrs to Sinya.

Times are always estimates, but 2/hrs ARK/SIN... don't think so!
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 08:43 AM

I'd agree with Sandi on that drive time to Sinya. We left Sinya in the morning after breakfast and had lunch in Arusha at Olasiti Lodge, one of the Tanganyika Wilderness Camp properties. That's in Arusha and not as far out as the Arusha Airport, where the local flights from the Serengeti land.

I hope you'll consider visiting the Rift Valley Children's Village near the Farmhouse... great organization!

Enjoy your trip, Moremiles!
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks and I plan on visiting the RVCV.

Hope it's an interesting drive!