Search

Are drinks included?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are drinks included?

We will be staying at the Ol Tukai Lodge, The Ark, Lion Hill Sarova Lodge, and the Mara Serena lodge. I was wondering if anyone knows if drinks are included? I was assuming that they aren't, but I have read a few references to the fact that they are. If not, does anyone know approx how much for a glass of wine, beer, spirts? I need to figure out how much extra cash to bring.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:52 PM

I know that drinks aren't included at Ol Tukai and I'm pretty sure that they aren't included at the other 3 lodges either. Figure 200 KES and up for a beer and 300 KES and up for spirits and wine by the glass.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 03:02 AM
sandi

Non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages are NOT included at the lodges you indicated. This fact should be clearly stated on the proposal you received from your outfitter... the section that indicates "included in price" or "not included in price."

As Patty mentions, the prices for sodas, beers and/or wines are relatively inexpensive ranging from $2-$5/each depending on what you're ordering. Most all properties, though, should include bottled water in your room for drinking and teeth brushing.

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 04:50 AM

Reminds me of an old experience where an otherwise quite competent waiter at on of the Sopas offered us a drink or a glass of wine. I asked where the wine was from and the response was, "Nairobi."
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 05:45 AM

Sarova Mara. No, you will need to purchase your own. You might have drinking water in the tent.
Don't know about the Serena, however doubt it.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 10:43 PM

You will find some all inclusive hotels at the coast. But not many. No... as others have said you will have to but drink. Hotel prices are pretty disgusting compared to what you will pay for a drink at Uchumi or Nakkumat. I suggest buying some big bottles of water at the supermarket if you are coming through Nairobi (harder if your flying 'cos there wont be room)
But then soda's and beer is inexpensive by western standards.

Make sure you sample local drinks.
Tusker.
Kenya Cane.
Dawa.

The best fruit juices! Passion, Mango, Orange Juice, Tamarind Juice, Melon etc....
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 10:48 PM

As for prices... where I'm sitting now, by the pool at the Oasis... Holiday Inn, Westlands, Nairobi a soda (Coke, Sprite, Ginger Beer etc) is 105 Ksh. Whic is about 0.80 UKPounds. About $1.40?
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 06:16 AM

If you're on a driving safari, I second the suggestion of picking up some drinks at Nakumatt or another grocery store if you want something for in room consumption. Just ask your driver to stop at one. As for water, check if your tour operator provides this and how much. Almost all of the lodges provide bottled water in room. Between this and what our tour operator provided, it was enough for us.