Safari Help

Oct 28th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Safari Help

Hi,
We are looking into the Botswana/Kenya area for safaris. We are looking to go in July '06.

Budget is not a concern and this is our one trip to Africa for life (there's a lot of the world left to see still!). Based on that, does anyone have a recommendation between Botswana and Kenya for the ultimate game-viewing safari trip?

We like the idea of smaller and less touristy (which I understand is Botswana), I just want to make sure we see all the wildlife I am expecting (Lions, giraffe, elephant, leopard etc.).

Your thoughts are appreciated!
Keith
[email protected]
Nov 11th, 2005, 12:11 PM

Try putting something together with Cheli and Peacock who are excellent operators and if money isn't an issue, stay at Cottars Camp in the Masaai Mara in Kenya! It is the most wonderful, secluded and romantic place. The game drives are great as well as they are right off the beaten track. Beware the curse of the white mini bus safari tours!

http://www.chelipeacock.com/
Nov 11th, 2005, 02:20 PM

I highly recommend Botswana over Kenya for a one time safari and you will see all the wildlife you have mentioned with the right planning. Kenya was beautiful but many more tourists and not being in an open land-rover is a huge negative in my opinion. The camps are much smaller in Botswana and you won't see the large herds like you do in Kenya, but I found the overall experience much more enjoyable with being able to go off road, do night game drives and some walks, having outdoor showers and just be with a few other people-just depends on what is important to you.
Nov 11th, 2005, 02:21 PM
sandi

What is the budget you're working with? "Of no concern" is fine, but how much do you expect to pay whether in Botswana or Kenya.

Cottar's is going to run close to $600/person/per night and might not be the ideal place to stay in July.

Where else other than the Mara are you interested if visiting Kenya? While the Mara holds people's attention, Kenya is a big country with other great game viewing areas. And where, specifically, in Botswana? And for how long in either country.

Kenya is at high-season in July and will be busy, but depending on where you choose to lay your head, you may not be with the crowds. Also, know that much of Kenya is already booked for July and August, and I wouldn't be surprised if space may be limited in Botswana, as well.

Do you have a tour operator or in-country outfitter; some idea of an itinerry in Kenya or Botswana? I would strongly suggest you get going for either destination.

Nov 11th, 2005, 09:48 PM

I also wanted a smaller, less touristy safari for my one and only time to Africa. After a great deal of research I picked Botswana and Wilderness Safari camps for next June. Kwando also has great camps, however their price is considerably higher in June than Wilderness. I booked in August and they were starting to fill up then.
Nov 12th, 2005, 06:56 AM

Just back from my third "safari" but my first in Kenya (Samburu District). It was on an Earthwatch project. The cost in tax deductible and instead of chasing game on drives, you "work" to improve the condition of the Samburu people. You spend one week in Wamba town where you interact with locals and see NO tourists. Not much game, (at least not in our dry season trip) just herds of domestic livestock. Fascinating experience.
The next week is at the Lewa Conservancy (staying in Anna Merz's home). Whilst there you observe Grevy and Plaines zebra for the Grevy conservation efforts. There are no herds, but an amazing abundance of wildlife from elephants to bushbabies including The Big Five. Very few tourists.
The cost is modest and you cannot replicate this experience in a commercial safari.
Nov 12th, 2005, 09:27 AM

ozlock - I am very interested in finding out more about the earthwatch projects. Is there a website you could direct me to? thanks,
Sharon

Search this Thread