A Ulusaba Question please...

Aug 8th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

A Ulusaba Question please...

Safarinut, or anyone familiar with Ulusaba....
I have looked through the brochure but having a difficult time figuring out how far apart things are from the photos. For example, it looks like the wooden bridge is quite a walk to get to what I'm assuming is the dining room (?). Is there quite a bit of walking required to get around? Which requires less walking the Rock Lodge or the Safari Lodge? Is the walking up hill or level? Thanks.

Aug 9th, 2004, 06:26 PM

petlover

SAFARI LODGE:

The safari rooms are located next to the main lodge and doesn't require walking on the wooden bridges.

The elephant rooms are also close to the main lodge and less than 30 meters of walking is required on the wooden bridges.

The river rooms are spaced out though,river1 is close to the main lodge,river2 probably 20 meters away,river3 40 meters and lastly,my favorite,river4 a good 200 meters away crossing 2 different wooden bridges.
The walk from river4 is an experience in itself as you often see wonderful wildlife on this walk.I have seen lions,leopard,elephants,buffalo etc. on this walk to the main lodge.

I will also never forget the day our river suite was ''surrounded'' by a herd of more than 200 buffalo or my close encounter with Makwela(a famous leopard there) and her cubs on our wooden deck of river4!

Be sure to ask Karl,Lani or Nico more about this close encounter.

ROCK LODGE:

The Rock cliff rooms are less than 15 meters away from the main lodge.

The Master Suite +- 20 meters.

The Makwela Suites(old rock rooms)less than 30 meters.

Rock lodge generally requires less walking but as I pointed out walking there is part of the safari experience!
Jan 30th, 2006, 11:50 AM

safarinut:
I will be going to Ulusaba in june, Im getting a good discount, travel agent, the thing is they wont confirm travel agent rates for the suites.
Should I pay the extra buck for the river suite? or makelawa suite?
or are the regulars rooms nice enough?
tks
Jan 30th, 2006, 06:11 PM

safarinut:
I will be going to Ulusaba in june, Im getting a good discount, travel agent, the thing is they wont confirm travel agent rates for the suites.
Should I pay the extra buck for the river suite? or makelawa suite?
or are the regulars rooms nice enough?
tkss
Jan 30th, 2006, 06:20 PM

Hi Samuel,
I believe safarinut is away right now. I have been to Ulusaba in July 2002. I did't stay up on the rock, but we did visit one afternoon. I went with a 16 year old niece who had a shocking cold when we were there, and they gave us two rooms, which I was very happy with, as I got some sleep and I found the rooms to be on the small side.
Why won't they tell you a rate for the suites, I do not even recall them having suites when I was there, but you need to know the increase in the room size to the increase in the rates to know if it is worth your while!

Kind regards,
Kaye
Jan 30th, 2006, 08:30 PM

Hi Kaye and thanks
the thing is they will only confirm a reservation with a travel agent rate. but they wnt confirm which room, so it will depend on avalability.
If i choose to go for a confirmed river room(suite) I wont be able to get any travel agent discount.
So it would probably end up costing triple!
Jan 30th, 2006, 08:45 PM

Hi Samuel,
There does reach a $amount, when enough is enough! I think I would take the room, and maybe if it is not busy, they will upgrade you. I do remember that Ulusaba was very expensive and it was also where we had our first female ranger, Janet.
I remember the main lounge etc as being very nice and spacious, but the room was on the small side.
Kind regards,
Kaye

Search this Thread