3 day tour to Sahara from Fes?

Dec 11th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

3 day tour to Sahara from Fes?

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if any of you would know whether I would be able to take a 3 day tour from Fes to Erg Chebbi, and then end in Marrakesh? I'm going to be flying into Fes from Spain next month, and want to spend a couple of days there, followed by a 3 day tour (with a night in the desert).

Have any of you done this? And if so, do you have any recommendations for a particular tour guide or service?

Thanks in advance!
Dec 12th, 2007, 08:22 AM
jgg

We did a similar trip last March only in the opposite direction (i.e. started in Marakkech, desert then Fes). We used Blue Men of Morocco (www.bluemenofmorocco.com) and were very pleased with everything. Particularly loved our driver Zaid. Here is a link to my trip report which has a lot of details of the trip: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34974589
Dec 12th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses -- very helpful! I'm wondering what each of you paid for your tours, per person? I got a quote today from one fairly large tour group that was almost twice what they had posted on their website. They wanted 5000 Md for a 3 day trip to the desert, starting in Fez, ending in Marrakesh.

Does this sound reasonable or overpriced?

Thanks in advance!
Dec 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM

hi,

Last september i mad a trip of 4 days to Erg Chebbi with 2 of my friends starting from marrakech, it was orginzed by marrakechexpedition4x4.com.the hotels was very nice and the 4x4 more confortable one years old.our drive omar was helpfull.
i can say that the price was reasonable.

enjoy well your trip
Dec 12th, 2007, 04:28 PM

we had a wonderful experience with http://www.benamitours.com/
[email protected]
give him a try wonderful, knowledgable, english speaking and great prices
Dec 15th, 2007, 05:12 AM

Hello from another SF person!!

We went from Fez to Erg Chebbi with our 6yo child and booked it ( and our entire stay in Morocco) ourselves. Saved a bundle and had a blast.

It is really easy to do by yourself. I wanted the very best people for the desert overnight as we would only do this once, so I searched and searched on the internet.

johnsakura , a world traveler who has spent tons of time there and now lives in Merzouga,Morocco and has great pages of info on Morocco thru Virtual Tourist, named "Les Nomades Tents & Exclusive Bivouacs " as the best.

I talked to him quite a bit thru email and he said there was no comparison as they give great personal attention. So then I talked to Allesandra there who is an awesome women from San Palo,Brazil who married a Berber Nomad and they run this small company together.

She speaks 5 languages and wants others to have the experience that she was looking for when she came to the Sahara many years ago. She understands western needs as well as the beauty of the nomad life. They over deliver and then some!!

We were blown away and I can not recommend them highly enough! They are "can do" people and we even used them to book our rides from Fez to the desert and then onto the land of 1000 Kasbahs.

Here is a blog link of our experiences and if you check out the entries in that time period you can get info on our whole trip and see pictures:
http://www.soultravelers3.com/blog/7...E27AE1B1F.html

Thanks to Les Nomades and Allessandra we had an experience of a life time. I am 55 and have a mobility problem and she handled that beautifully as well as being wonderful to our 6yo child. Everyone of us still see this as the highlight of our multi-year trip around the world that has been full of great highlights.

We do videos of my daughter playing violin at key spots on our trip around the world and I mentioned that to her. She set up an AMAZING concert in the desert where my daughter played for 50 berber kids and they were as excited as my daughter. We also fed them treats of fresh fruit afterwards which she arranged.

http://www.soultravelers3.com/blog/3...6C3A1171F.html

The story goes on and on, we felt we connected with the Berber people and the Sahara in a deep way and thanks to Allessandra it was not just a feelingless sahara junket like so many are, but a truly unique and personal experience.

If you want high quality, then i highly recommend this route. It is not even expensive and I can guarantee that you will love it. If you are looking for a mind blowing ,soul full experience, this is it.

http://www.nomadsaharabivouacmerzouga.com/

Hmad & Allessandra are super kind, generous, genuine people who understand service and want people to experience the beauty of the life there. It can be a life altering experience.

We ended up in Marrakesh ( which we did not like as much as Fez medina) after the 1000 kasbah area & after a few days there and Essouria , flew back to Spain. ( We had taken the ferry and train in to Fez which is also easy).

Have a wonderful time and do be careful with the food there ( something that Allessandra is very aware and careful about too) as many get sick in Morocco if not careful.
Dec 15th, 2007, 05:37 AM

<Does this sound reasonable or overpriced?

Yeah, that bid sounds way over priced to me. Be careful too because it sounds like you will be with a junket type crowd.

I must say I felt sorry for the people on those junket style that we saw on our way into and out of the desert. They made nice pictures for us.... to see a whole line of tourists on camels in the distance, but sounds like a horrible way to experience the Sahara.
Dec 18th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Is the price 5000 Md (3 days) for one person? Looking for a similar trip but Mkech to Fes over 6 days and 10000 md (x2) for one person when there are 4 of us seems like way tooooooooo much. That's 40000 mds!

We (4 of us) are looking for a private tour as don't want to travel with a hoard of people. We're not unsociable but we can't be bothered to talk to other people about their lives when we're on holiday.
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:30 PM

I used Morocco Explored and I think it was 1/2 that price for the same journey.
Jan 7th, 2008, 06:07 AM

They quoted me 5500 per person for a trip based 2
Jan 7th, 2008, 12:25 PM

we used in last month Ethnec tours (www.berberespace.com) we had wonderful time and exotic fun .GOOD TRAVEL.