2 weeks in Turkey

Old Sep 18th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 weeks in Turkey

I am heading to turkey for 2 weeks in October and was looking for any recommendations/tips anyone may have?
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 12:38 PM
sandi

Post this on the Europe Board. There are lots of threads about Turkey which is in Europe and not the Middle East.

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:56 AM

Turkey is one of my favorite places and I would be happy to share thoughts-

Given your two week time frame, I would fly into Izmir- visit Bodrum for a few days, you could see Ephesus, visit Syrince (a lovely Turkish village)

Fly to Cappadocia visit the fairy chimneys, cave dwellings etc and end up in Istanbul.

I have used insight tours in Istanbul and they were amazing. Ask for Rina. Their website is www.tour-turkey.com

Good luck.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 01:01 PM

Pacha Tours is fantastic. A trip you'll never forget. Our guide,who was typical, was getting his masters in Byzantine art and literature.
Check Pacha's sight for places of interest.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:01 PM

We spent two weeks in Turkey in Oct.2001 and had the time of our life. If you can, stay at the Four Seasons in Istanbol..great location, wonderful views, and best of all you can wlk to everythiung in the old city , Topkapi, the old roman aqufers, etc, and terrific resturants. The grand bazaar is overwhelming and leave time to wander and bargin...We did go to the center for the whirrling dervishes and see their ceremony. We took a trip along the river to see the summer homes of the wealthy and a terrific new(then) museum. Also many palaces.
In Cappadocia, we stayed at the Maison des Cappadocia, a wonderful collection of rooms built into old caves and and limestone outcropings. The suites vary but all are very unique with patios, kitchens where fresh rolls, butter and eggs, etc, are delivered daily..very special place. We also went hot air balooning there which was great.
We spent a day in Ankara and found visiting Ataturk's memorial very enlighting. Also a very interesting history museum as well as some great resturants. I think we had to go to Ankara in order to fly to Izmir.
We did not go to Bodrum as we were told it was after the "season" and many things would be closed so I can't advise you on that. We spend several days around Izmir visiting Ephesus and Sardis.
As we went before the Iraq war, Americans were very well liked and we were welcomed hiking into villages. It was one of our best trips.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 05:21 AM

We just spent 10 days in Turkey, possibly the best trip we have ever taken. It was actually more like three separate trips; Istanbul, Izmir with Ephesus and Pergoman, and then Cappadocia. Cappadocia is by far the most exotic and would have been impossible but for the luck of having contracted the services of Adnan Tanguler at www.asianturkey.com. His knowledge of this region, where he was born and raised, was only matched by his passion for the history, geology and people he shared with us. He is clearly very fortunate in his ability to pour his heart and soul into his work.

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 05:42 AM

I'd highly recommend traveling with Meli. Turkey is a fabulous place. Have fun!

www.melitour.com
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Turkey is fabulous!We have been there 5 times and at this point, have made some good Turkish friends.I would recommend Credo Tours.The owner, Sirma,is not only knowledgable,but has a passion for her work.She can put together a great personal or group tour.Enjoy!