Sports and the Outdoors
On a scenic half-day raft trip you can traverse the lower section of the Stehekin River, which winds through cottonwood and pine forest, from Yawning Glacier on the slopes of Magic Mountain southeast to Lake Chelan.
Stehekin Valley Ranch. From June through September, $55 guided trips on Class III waters leave from the Stehekin Valley Ranch, 9 miles from Stehekin Landing (there's a free shuttle). In addition to the whitewater rafting, they offer kayaking and horseback riding. The ranch is also a good launch pad for mountain biking and day hiking. Stehekin Valley Rd., Stehekin, WA, 98852. 509/682–4677 or 800/536–0745. stehekinvalleyranch.com.
Mountain bikers also make their way into this rugged terrain.
Stehekin Discovery Bikes. Bikes can be rented for $4 per hour or $25 for 24 hours. The $35 Ranch Breakfast Ride is a popular package; riders are transported to Stehekin Valley Ranch for custom breakfasts, then explore the valley at their own pace. Stehekin Valley Rd., 5-minute walk from the boat landing, Stehekin, WA, 98852. 509/682–2519. stehekindiscoverybikes.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe