- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fishing & Tubing
The Guadalupe River runs from the western points of Kerr County and stretches down to the Gulf of Mexico through Victoria. The upper river near Kerrville and Boerne is a wide, meandering centerpiece to the Texas Hill Country shaded by pecan and cypress trees. Below Canyon Lake, the Guadalupe River serves as a major recreational spot. White-water rafting and kayaking are both popular, but the more relaxed activity of tubing down the river trailing a cooler of beer is the main attraction in summer.
Below the Canyon Dam, the Gaudalupe is also considered one of the top 100 trout streams in the country. The state stocks the river with trout each winter, attracting anglers from miles around. While casting for beautiful rainbow and brown trout, you'll likely get a few hits from the native Guadalupe smallmouth bass (the state fish of Texas), largemouth bass, and Rio Grande perch.
There are many reputable fishing guides in the area. Gruene Outfitters. For referrals and to stock up on fishing gear, visit Gruene Outfitters. 1629 Hunter Rd., New Braunfels, TX. 830/625-4440.
More Sports and Outdoors
- Fishing & Tubing
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $96.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Kerrville Hotwire
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites in May: $133 & Up Expedia
- Look no Further! Kerrville Hotels Fr $49+/Nt — $49 Travelocity
- Small budget: Stay in Kerrville this May Fr $104+/Nt — $104 Expedia
- Save in Kerrville: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $73+/Nt — $73 Expedia