- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
You don't just find yourself in Mason; you have to want to get there. Nestled in the rolling hills at the very northwest corner of this region, this pristine town was once a bastion of civilization for hunters on their way to or from various excursions, but today it's one of the Hill Country's best-kept secrets.
Among the many things to see and do around the town, visitors shouldn't miss a trip to Fort Mason. Just up Post Hill, this historic site played a pivotal role in the success of the town by protecting settlers from Indian raids through the late 1870s, and by providing employment opportunities for residents. The fort is also known for producing some of the Civil War's most notable generals, including Albert Sidney Johnston, William J. Hardee, and Robert E. Lee.
Mason is home to famed novelist Fred Gipson who wrote the classic novel Old Yeller. Texans might also recognize historical fiction and non-fiction writer Scott Zesch who wrote the critically acclaimed The Captured, which recounts true stories of children abducted by Apache Indians in the Mason area. Zesch is the son of Gene Zesch, a woodcarving artist renowned in the Southwest part of the country for depicting humorous caricature of life on Texas ranches. Original pieces of Zesch's carvings are on display in the Director's Room of the Commercial Bank in Mason.
Mason at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Hill Country
- Enchanted Rock State Natural Area
- Horseshoe Bay
- Johnson City
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Kerrville: Save this May Fr $133+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Kerrville for Less: Hotels Fr $75+/Nt Travelocity
- May deal: La Quinta Inn & Suites Kerrville Fr $104+/Nt — $104 Expedia
- Look no Further! Kerrville Hotels Fr $49+/Nt — $49 Travelocity
- Americas Best Value Inn on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $73+/Nt — $73 Expedia