- Stir the melting pot Fondue famously originated in the Neuchâtel area—try the two-cheese fondue neuchâteloise that honors the region's fabulous Gruyère and Emmental cheeses or opt for fondue fribourgeoise, a delicious Vacherin Fribourgeois delight.
- Switzerland's largest lake Lac Neuchâtel is a great place for a boat trip, to try out wakeboarding, or to savor the fine fish served on its shores.
- You say Schloss And I say Château. In either language, this area has some of Switzerland's most impressive castles, from Grandson to Gruyères.
- Homegrown talent Whether it's the clockwork extravaganzas of Tinguely or the disturbing alien-like creations of Giger, these two sculptors are true knockouts.
- Gorgeous Gruyères Step into a postcard in this perfect specimen of a medieval stronghold, its single main street cozy within the ramparts.
FODOR'S GO LIST 2015
The top 25 places we think should be on every traveler's radar this year.More