- Drachenfels This dramatic castle in Königswinter crowns a high hill overlooking the Rhine.
- Fastnacht Germany's Carnival season culminates with huge parades, round-the-clock music, and dancing in Düsseldorf, Köln, and Mainz the week before Ash Wednesday.
- Rhine in Flames These massive displays of fireworks take place the first Saturday in May in Linz-Bonn; the first Saturday in July in Bingen-Rüdesheim; the second Saturday in August in Koblenz; the second Saturday in September in Oberwesel; and the third Saturday in September in St. Goar.
- The romance of the Rhine From cruises to Rhine-view rooms, castles to terraced vineyards, the Rhine does not disappoint.
- Spectacular wine A whole culinary tradition has grown up around the distinctive light white wines of the Rhine and Mosel.
GREAT AMERICAN VACATION
Take our short photo quiz to reveal your ideal trip in the U.S.More