- Follow the wine road Ribeauvillé and Riquewihr, a pair of medieval villages filled with "Hansel and Gretel" houses and bottle-laden cellars, are at the heart of the Alsatian wine route.
- Be enchanted by Colmar After two world wars Colmar rebuilt itself—today the mazelike cobblestone streets and Petite Venise waterways of its Vieille Ville are as atmospheric as ever.
- Get an architectural eyeful in Nancy Classic 18th-century elegance and fanciful Art Nouveau innovation meet reminders of the medieval past in this city.
- Pay tribute to Joan of Arc If you're a fan of Jeanne d'Arc, you’ve come to the right place; she was born right here in Domrémy-la-Pucelle.
- Discover the charms of Strasbourg, capital of Alsace The symbolic capital of Europe is a cosmopolitan French city rivaled only by Paris in its medieval allure, history, and haute cuisine.
Need a break from the big city? View 42-hour itineraries from 13 cities.More