Dressmaker in Bangkok - Wedding Dress

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - am delighted to find so many enthusiasts on this website and so many fantastic tips.

My fiance and I have been to Thailand 4 times in the last few years and love it and have decided to marry there in August 2006. We will be in Thailand for 5 weeks in total but it seems a long time away and a million miles away.

I was wondering how feasible it would be to have a wedding dress made up by a dressmaker in Bangkok in 8 - 10 days.

We are proposing to be in Bangkok for 3 nights then to Chiang Mai for 4 nights and then back to Bangkok for a further 3 nights to meet some of our guests before flying down to Samui, where we are getting married at www.rockyresort.com. We are not getting married until 9 August so feasibly could extend our time in bangkok further or I could fly back to Bangkok easily enough to collect the dress.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for dressmakers? As it is a wedding dress, I am not so concerned by the price. It will still be cheaper than buying a dress in the UK. Also, I am not fixed on design but I think it will be simple and quite light as it will otherwise be too hot for the beach.

Previously I have had long cocktail dresses made at the silk dressmakers shop in the mall at the Shangri La where we have always stayed in the past when in Bangkok and they were simple but well made with beautiful embroidery. These were made in 2-4 week periods and I have no idea whether they could have made them quicker, they were just made over the duration of our trips.

As to the quality and workmanship and design, I have nothing to compare these too. Has anyone had any experience of having cocktail dresses/ball gowns/wedding dresses made in Bangkok?

Thanks in advance for your responses, I am sure this post will be the first of many. Finding this website tonight has been mercifully engrossing this evening after today's sad, horrific and tragic events in London where we work - what has happened was and is heartbreaking.

Best wishes
Lucy
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Dear Julie,

I have a great dressmaker who makes beautiful wedding dresses. I so not know about the time frame but you can contact her at [email protected]. She is located on New Rd and Silom. She and her sister, Moon, speak pretty good English. Fabric choices are limited, but you can bring your own fabric to them. Tell them that Gale Martin Carson gave you them name and maybe that will help.

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 05:00 PM

Lucy-- Cotton House in Oriental Place (behind the Oriental Hotel) does wonderful work and the last time I was there I think she was doing a wedding dress for someone at the U.S. Embassy. She and her staff have wonderful ideas about designs and lots of magazines with all kinds of photos. She some fabric (basically Thai and Chinese silk) and will go to other stores in the complex to look for others or you can bring your own. She and her staff speak excellent English. I would say they can do the dress in the time limit if you go there your first morning in Bangkok and have a fitting before you leave. Go back as soon as you return for another fitting and then you'll probably need one more fitting. To play it completely safe you might want to make your second day there 4 days.

Do you plan to be in Bangkok before August 2006? If so, you might want to visit a couple of places and discuss what you have in mind and maybe work out some designs or at least get an idea of fabrics and how much fabric you will need.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 05:38 PM

the jim thompson main store makes dresses on the second floor...not sure about your time frames, however...

you could look for fabrics in sanpan lane, near to chinatown...

i saw a number of bridal shops, all in one place not far from the amari watergate hotel...someone here, like carol (simpson510) may know the exact area...there were at least a dozen of them in a few blocks..
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 05:39 PM

send nancy chandler a message at her website and see what they suggest???
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 06:34 PM

Sorry, but I can't help with the location of the bridal shops. What a great idea though, getting married on Koh Samui.
A friend Europe will marry a Thai bride in BKK in January. We hope to be able to attend. I'm sure it will be very beautiful.
Carol
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Original Poster

Brilliant, thanks for your helpful replies. Unfortunately we are not going to BKK before August 2006 - I wish! - but I do have a friend staying in the Oriental in August who was going to undertake some investigation for me so these contacts are brilliant and I will also email Nancy Chandler.

Thanks again
Lucy
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:37 AM

Lucy-- You might ask your friend to also ask the Oriental for suggestions. I've been staying there for over 20 years and they have never steered me wrong. If they don't know they'll do some research and get back to her. The concierge desk there is wonderful and the women will love to help -- they're a fun and warm group. Besides they've seen some pretty spectacular wedding dresses at their weddings!

Give your friend some photos or drawings or a description of what you want and have her show it to some of the contacts. If she goes to Cotton House you can use my name -- Gloria -- I've had a lot of work done there.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Nancy Chandler is living back in San Francisco area. Her daughter, Nima runs the company in Bangkok. I was just in touch with them both for the last couple of months. They are both great and highly efficient. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 12:40 PM

I have not had anything made in BKK, but I did spend several months working with a seamstress on my own wedding dress,prior to a destination wedding.

Given your tight timeframe once in BKK, may I suggest that you choose your tailor/dressmaker ahead of time (based on your friends "interviews" perhaps). Then, in the months leading up to your BKK arrival you should could communicate via email or post, exchanging pictures, ideas and fabric samples. If you have an idea of the fabric you want, have your friend pick up some swatches for you to exmaine. Good luck!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Some great suggestions, thanks so much. I'll let you know how I go...
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

rhkkmk helpfully suggested contacting Nancy Chandler and her daughter Nima has been really helpful in her responses (see below) - a really nice lady. I think the road she is talking about might be the area with the bridal shops that rhkkmk recalled -

(this info is forwarded by Nima from a friend that she sent the query to): I suggest she walk along Thonglor (Sukhumivt Soi 55). Except for one or two shops highly priced shops, most of them are resonably priced. She should be able to get the Thai wedding outfit in some of the shops there too.

Nima added: Do note that Thonglor is actually quite a long street. It might be better to have a car and driver with you, or to take a taxi from the skytrain and do a quick tour of the street - driving up one side and back down the other, with an eye out for places that seem your style. (We're talking at least 10, maybe 20, wedding studios on this street.) Then you could walk from the first ...

Thought I would post this in case this info may be useful to anyone in the future.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:55 PM

i think that is it...we were heading in a very strange way to soi 38 and i believe that is when we saw the wedding places...