Airline and Fare to Manilla in Sept.?

Jul 20th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Airline and Fare to Manilla in Sept.?

My friend (who seems to be having a midlife crisis) wants to go to Manilla and the Phillipines in September. The best fare (from Boston) seems to be around $1000. Is this as good as it gets or should he wait a bit. I know there are no crystal balls, just questioning the experience of others.
Jul 20th, 2005, 10:54 AM

I have been watching the airfares to Manila as we are going there in Feb/March. However I am looking from the Houston market so I'm not sure if this will help but the cheapest carrier by far going to Manila is China Airlines.
From Houston to Manila I'm seeing the airfare at about $950 (all taxes included). Try Travelocity and set up your flexible travel date period and let their farewatcher work for you going forward.
This year we flew EVA Air to Manila and flew in their Evergree deluxe Class- like Business class but much less money. Wider seats and more legroom, etc. than coach. Their coach fares from Houston is running about $1100. Evergreen deluxe is running about $1310.
Run a search on this forum for my extensive trip report to Manila to get some ideas of what to do and see there.
Most of the fodor regulars here do not have any experience in going to the Philippines.
Jul 20th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you BillT. I have already read and printed your report. Great info. I was surprised to find so little info about the Philippines when I did a search.
Jul 20th, 2005, 11:23 AM

If you haven't figured it out already this forum is really the Bangkok forum!
Jul 20th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Yes, it seems so. I have never been on this board (usually Europe) and was surprised to see so little info. Do you know why? Your report got me interested although I am not going! Do you know of other boards with more info? Maybe he should go to Bangkok LOL.
Jul 20th, 2005, 08:28 PM

$1000 is about as good a price that you will get for airfare from the east coast to Manila. I don't think you will find any ticket that would be substantially cheaper.
Jul 20th, 2005, 09:40 PM

My useless. guess for the Philapines not being a top Asian destination is that it dosnt seem or feel very "oriental".. the country is pradamenlty POPE Benedict XVI followers and much of the architecture is spanish. NOT too many budist temples, shinto shrines and other sites that people picture in thier minds when they think of far east asia. As far as Manial goes it is also hghly influenced by America.

---
I've spend over a month trying too get a feel of Mainla as a possible living spot.. i like the city but it just feels too close too home im half American and Colombian. it was actually kind of cool talking English and a bit a Spainish with the locals. and being able to read most of the signs.
Jul 21st, 2005, 06:24 AM

I think its worth one trip there to explore what the Philippines has to offer- its no Bangkok or Angor Wat- but I would say that it has many things to see and explore (read my report!). So maybe instead of making your upmpteenth trip to BKK- you try the Philippines.
Think outside the box!
Jul 22nd, 2005, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Another question (with thanks for previous replies): Money? Is it best to do ATM withdrawals as in Europe? Any tips for someone who wants to hang around for month? He used to go to Cuba until it became truly off limits and likes to be more than a "tourist".
Jul 22nd, 2005, 09:20 AM

tips..-
- find a serviced apartmetn.
- do use ATM
- taking care of the mid life crises in the philapines may not be as exciting as it seemed to be years ago. .. or am I reading between the lines wrong here.?

Jul 22nd, 2005, 10:05 AM

atms are the best way to go....$1000 is about average....i saved money this year by using northwest's world vacations (saved about $250)...you have to agree to a minimum of 3 nites hotels....i used the 3 nites and then spent the rest of my time in hotels i really wanted to stay in....
Jul 22nd, 2005, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

I don't want to give the wrong impression. He is looking for a place to hang out and spend time getting to know the people as he did in Cuba. He made many friends and likes that better than just being a tourist. He is also looking as you said you were for a possible part time place to live. Any other tips or comments would be appreciated.
Jul 25th, 2005, 10:07 PM

If he is looking for part time place to live, a lot of europeans have settled in Boracay. It's a very popular island which is famous for its 7 kilometer of suger fine powder white sand.
There is a lively expat/foreign community in Manila as well. But the city is just like any city.
Cost of living is very inexpensive especially if you stay in the provinces.
You can also try baguio city (which is higher up so it's a little bit cooler) or cebu city (which is the second most developed city to Manila).

Search this Thread