Rome - need help choosing apartment

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, daughter (fifteen months) and I will go to Italy in November.

Can I get your experienced and intelligent opinions on these two apartments that were just offered to me?

1.http://www.dolceroma.it/campo-fiori.htm
140 EUR per night.

2.http://www.realrome.com/propflavia1.html
110 EUR per night.
(Also has washing machine, dryer and bath tub, which would be helpful b/c of little one.)

My first thought is to go with the cheaper option #2 - but I am not sure about the location - too far from the campo dei fiori/piazza navona area?

Thanks!

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Location, location, location.

To me, the apt #1 location (2 blocks from Campo dei Fiori) is worth at least 100 EUR more per night than the location of apt #2 (6 blocks north of the train station). Paying only a 30EUR/night premium is a bargain.

The difference in location in terms of character, convenience & neighborhood is like night and day.

In short, making your home base in an area that is so much nicer is definately "worth it". You get what you pay for. After all, you'll be on vacation.

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 09:58 AM

I agree with bardo1. The location is way way way better at the dolceroma place. However, I have used Real Rome before (for an apartment near Campo dei Fiori) and they were great; I wouldn't hesitate to use their services again.

Still, I'd choose the dolceroma for the location.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 10:46 AM
KT

While I agree that a centro storico location is much more appealing, I thought I'd elaborate a bit on the locations just in case you choose the other place for the amenities.

First of all, the "Campo dei Fiori" apartment, despite the name, is not just around the corner from the campo; it's more like 1/3 mile away, close to the Piazza Chiesa Nuova. This probably means it's quieter than the immediate Campo dei Fiori area, so it's not entirely a bad thing--just don't expect to find the Campo on your doorstep.

Second, via Flavia is about 1/2 mile from Termini, and wouldn't normally be considered to be in the station area. That neighborhood, while not very interesting and not in the center of things, doesn't have the negatives sometimes associated with being near the station.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your imput. Option #1 is too far way so I think we will let it go...I was just offered another one, also on campo dei fiori, right on it actually -

can I request some feed back on this apartment or the rental agency? Both apartments are about the same price, but this newest option has a bath tub and kid equipement is available for no extra cost.

Thanks!

http://www.comfortitalia.com/apartme...podeifiori.htm
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 04:06 AM

I would prefer to be a few blocks OFF the square as it can be noisy at night (though perhpas not in November).

I'm sure wherever you end up, they will lend you a wash tub to bath your 15 mo. old if there's no built-in bath tub.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 04:29 AM

I had a look at #1 and the location is perfecto! I'd book it in a heartbeat.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your imput. I also worried that being right on Campo dei fiori would be a too noisy at night.

So after many, many months - okay, only four - of reading trip reports, reviews of apartments and neighborhoods and studying my map of Rome, we have booked our apartment. I showed the options to my DH, and in 3.5 seconds he choose option #1.

Again - thanks for the location information and taking the time to respond.