Rome VRBO Apt # 195616

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome VRBO Apt # 195616

Hi, anyone rented the apt Miguel, # 195616 or another apt from the same owner? http://www.vrbo.com/195616
The exact address is Lungotevere Marzio 10 (Piazza Navona district). It has a view of the river which sounds appealing but I want to make sure it is conveniently located (my other choice is the Monte di Pieta apt
http://www.romeby.com/monte-di-pieta-apt

I would love to hear opinions on the apt/location. Thanks.

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 09:47 AM

I love the location of the Monte di Pieta apt. A couple of years ago we stayed at Hotel Ponte Sisto in Via dei Pettinari, and we would walk near the square where the apt is, on our way to Campo D'Fiori.

I wouldn't be crazy about an apt right on the Lungotevere. Every time I have walked alongside the Lungotevere I have always disliked how noisy it is. Maybe the apt is well sound proofed, but that would be a concern.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 10:09 AM

I agree with cruisluv--the Lungotevere has lots of traffic and I would worry about noise. The location directly north of Piazza Navona would be ok but I would consider the Piazza Monte di Pietà to be better/more central.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 10:12 AM

We stayed in the first one (Lungotevere Marzio) in late October. The apartment was spacious and very comfortable. The location is wonderful, as we were able to walk everywhere (Navonna, Campo DeFiore, Vatican, Testaverde--though far, among other placs).

Downside:
This is the area that has the really bad sparrow problem. Unbelievable bird noise, poo and smell right outside the apartment. You won't be able to use the two balcanies or walk the Tiber. We had to take a 2 block detour to get around the problem. I am not kidding, it is so bad I can't accurately describe it. For that reason alone, I wouldn't rent there again.

Also, depending on when you go, you don't really get a view of the river because of the trees blocking it (and the birds...)
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 11:18 AM

We stayed in the Monte di Pieta apartment a few years ago. At the time, it was advertised as a two bedroom apartment, but since there was trouble with the locks on the main entrance, one could only enter through the tiny entry way that was the second "bedroom". Most inconvenient!

That situation has been corrected, I have been told, and the apartment is now correctly described in the web site.

Other than the above problem, we found the apartment to be quite good. The location could not have been better. On it's own small square, it was quiet. There was a bit of conversation of other families in the building, but nothing out of the ordinary; in fact is gave a good feeling of being part of an Roman neighborhood.

The place is only a block or two from Campo di Fiori, and within easy walking distance of Piazza Navona, and other sites. Lots of good restaurants in the neighborhood, and close to public transportation. The express #40 bus (if I remember correctly) takes you to Termini very quickly, so the underground and trains are easily connected to. The tram is only a couple of blocks away, also, and that gets you to Trastevere.

Hope this is helpful. Have a great trip!

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thak you Nukesafe, with the amount of help I have got & continue to receive on this forum, I am sure we will! Do you remember which agency you booked the apt through?
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 03:23 PM

Memory fails, but I think we rented through Sleep in Italy. They were not too helpful about the blocked front door problem, as I recall.

Have no experience with RomeBy, but they certainly have a nice web site (as if that means anything).

Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:57 PM

MelJ et al.:
Just saw this thread.

We stayed in the Lungotevere Marzio apartment in March 2008.

I have just written to the owners to see about renting it in March 2009.

I can't imagine the bird problem you describe. Naturally, March is not a big month for birds but still... I saw nothing remotely resembling what you describe. So it might be a purely seasonal thing.

I did suffer from noise one or two nights -- motorcycles racing on the L. Tevere. Otherwise a superlative rental. I posted a trip report in early April I believe.

BTW most of the units in this building belong, it seems, to family members. The 2 storey penthouse upstairs certainly does...

When we asked for an iron and ironing board, the maid from upstairs -- Yes, a black-clad maid in starched cap and apron!! -- delivered it within a half hour.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:47 PM

I'm glad you had a good experience. As I said, the apartment itself was supurb and the location couldn't be beat. By the way, when you're there in March, may I recommend you have dinner at B4, the restaurant just behind the building in the little piazza. Friendliest staff and best meal we encountered in our entire Italy trip!

About the birds, shortly after we returned home someone sent us a you tube video of the situation--and it was right outside our apartment building! They showed people in hazard suits at night walking up and down and using sirens to try to get the birds to go away. i hope they were successful!

I didn't overstate the problem. the one time we tried to walk along the lungotevere (turning left outside the door) it was night and we wondered what the black crunchy stuff we were walking on and covering the stone wall was. then we looked at the cars parked there--covered. Then we heard the sound. When we reached the next corner we were both dripping in fresh poo. Awful, really! Please do ask the owner if the problem still exists.

If it was an anomoly and it's gone, please post back--i'd rent it again!
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I would be very interested in finding out what is the real situation is since I dropped the idea of renting it after reading about the sparrow problem!
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:20 PM

They're not sparrows; they're starlings.

It's a seasonal thing that only occurs in late fall and that Rome has been struggling with for years. There is nothing an individual apartment owner can do about it.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 10:11 AM

So glad to hear it is a seasonal problem only.

I got a response from the agent of the owners.

They do have a one-week gap in their March rentals.

They offered the apartment at a rate that blew me away -- 40% less than we paid last year (through a different agency) for the same unit.

Prices are higher after March 16 but still very competitive.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Not to belabor the point but, for Zerlina, I don't believe I ever blamed the owners in any of my posts. However, now that you say that, I DO think the owners should note this in their description, since you say it is something "Rome has been dealing with for years" in the late fall. It is particularly bad in the lungotevere--we saw no problem in the other areas of Rome. So, now that you mention it, I DO think it's incombent upon the owners to warn that you can't use the patios or walk the street in front of the building without an umbrella in late fall, since they "sell" the patio and Tiber view. Don't you?

Don't know why I said sparrows when I know they are starlings.