Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naples, Capri, Amalfi, Rome ferries, trains, bus, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2024, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're late-60s travelers planning a mid-April trip of 10 days, starting Rome to Naples, ferrying to Capri, Capri to Amalfi, and then back to Rome for flight back to US. We're trying to sort out the best options for ferry service from Capri to Amalfi, as we're not clear as to whether there's direct ferry service from Capri to Amalfi, or whether we need to take a ferry from Capri to Positano or Salerno (requiring a bus to Amalfi). Our questions are 1. is there a preferred ferry service from Naples to Capri? 2. Can we take a ferry directly from Capri to Amalfi, or not? And if not, what's the best combination option to get from Capri to Amalfi? and 3. What's the best way to travel from Amalfi back to Rome?
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 03:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
#1 I don't pay much attention to which ferry company I use.

#2 AFAIK, there are ferries from Capri to Amalfi in April, but perhaps not every day of the week. If you're staying in a hotel on either Capri or in Amalfi, you could email one/both and ask for timetable info for that route on the day you'd be transferring.

#3 I would taxi, bus or ferry from Amalfi to Salerno and then take the train to Rome.
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 04:40 PM

I checked on the Alilauro Web site and it looks as though they are beginning service between Capri and Amalfi near the beginning of April, so you may be in luck. But do check with your hotel(s).

Agree with Jean that returning to Rome via Salerno is easiest.

You should plan to be in Rome the night before your flight,
Old Mar 9th, 2024, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks.
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 08:20 AM

Hi, yes of course there is a ferry from Amalfi to Capri and vice versa, you can consult timetables and prices from here https://www.traghettilines.it/
The best way in terms of stress and time is definitely to take a private taxi. From Amalfi there is no direct way to get to Rome, you have to take either a bus to Salerno and then the train or the ferry to Salerno and then the train. If you want, take a look at this transfer company which has cheap rates.