Search

Milan or day trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2024, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milan or day trip

Hello,
We will be arriving in Milan on March 21st. Our plan now is to stay over night then train to Tirano for two nights to catch the Bernina Express. Having done research on Tirano, there seems to be very little to do, and we are considering two night's in Milan with a full day to explore again. Having been there before, and seen the main sites, we are looking for something off the beaten path, if possible. We are traveling with just carryons, so shopping is not possibility. No Space for additional clothing!!! I'm so sad about that!!! We are staying near the central train station for convenience.
We have been so fortunate to have been to both Lake Garda and Como, and Bergamo, so those day trips are out. I would appreciate any ideas!!!!
Thank you,
Alison
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 05:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Milan, go visit the cemetery or the football. The cemetery is full of amzing designs and the football is a bit daft too
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 06:26 AM

Milan is a vibrant and elegant city. It makes me sad when people assume there's little or nothing to do there. Apart from the shopping, there are excellent restaurants. It has a wealth of art, and musical events.

I assume you've seen the Duomo. Have you gone up to the terraces? That's a spectacular sight.

You haven't told us much about your interests, but the Palazzo Reale, very near the Duomo, always has some interesting temporary art shows. Right now, there's a show of works of El Greco, and another of Goya. Both will be over within a month, but there will be something else when you get there.

The Brera Gallery Is one of Italy's great art museums, specializing in paintings from masters of northern Italy, but with great art from all periods and regions, including masterpieces by Raphael and Caravaggio. The district of Brera is also fascinating.
https://www.greenandturquoise.com/br...-the-district/

I imagine you've also seen the Last Supper. (When someone says they've "seen the main sights", I don't ever know what that includes.) If not, you could try to get a reservation for that, although it can be difficult to get a ticket unless you sign up for an expensive guided tour. At the moment, tickets are mostly sold out through the end of April, although there are often tickets available at the last minute due to cancellations. Usually single tickets sell out almost as soon as they go on sale, which is about once every three months. You can almost always find places on a tour.

https://cenacolovinciano.vivaticket.it/en

​​​​​​The Galleria di Vittorio Emanuele Is a grand glass-covered shopping gallery, very near the Duomo. I imagine you've seen it, but you don't say which major sights you've already visited. Even if you can't do any shopping, you should see it. (By the way, many shops will ship your purchases home for you.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galler...io_Emanuele_II

The Scala, Milan's great historic theatre, has tours that are supposed to be very much worth while. I've been to concerts there, and it's certainly very beautiful, but I've never taken the tour. The Scala can be reached by passing through the Vittorio Emanuele gallery from the Duomo.

https://www.museoscala.org/en/visit/...e-theater.html

There are also some beautiful churches in Milan apart from the Duomo.

The Basilica of Saint Ambrose (Sant' Ambrogio) was built over 1500 years ago, but restructured about 1000 years ago. There are still features of the earlier church.

The Basilica of San Lorenzo, one of the oldest churches in Italy, built during the late Roman Empire. It still has its original form, although it has had modifications since then

The Church of the Carmine, 15th century Italian Gothic church, with a Baroque chapel, near the Brera Gallery.

The Sforza Castle Is a huge 15th century castle in the middle of Milan. It has a number of separate museums inside. Admission to the castle itself is free, but the various museums have entrance fees.

https://www.milanocastello.it/en/storia-voci/10/140

The Monumental Cemetery is a popular destination, with artistic tombs and sculptures. I've never been there, but our friends who live in Milan say it's a must-see. Entrance is free.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...etery-of-milan

The Naviglio Grande Is the largest of the canals of Milan. Along its banks there are many popular restaurants and bars. It's a popular night life spot. You can take boat excursions on the canal.

Last edited by bvlenci; Feb 8th, 2024 at 06:34 AM.
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 07:45 AM

As above: there is a lot to see in and around Milano.
You may then leave Miano Centrale at 7.20 am in order to catch the St. Moritz bound Bernina Express, St. Moritz ar 12.35
or leave Milano C at in order to catch the Chur bound Bernina Express, Pontresina ar 16.22 - Chur ar 18.22

But if you prefer to stay at another scenic place, check Lugano.
There are direct trains from Milano Malpensa airport to Lugano every hr.
After having enjoyed the 3 rope railways, 3 cableways, the cog wheel railway and Lake Lugano boats as welll as the different castles, museums, theme and adventure parks around Lugano, you could leave Lugano Saturday morning at 10am by direct bus to Tirano and go on by Bernina Express to Pontresina and Chur.
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 08:39 AM

Lugano Is s on the beautiful lake of the same name. We spent only one night there, on our way home (to Le Marche) from Switzerland. From our brief glimpse I was sorry we hadn't planned to spend more time there. We could have cut a few days from Bellagio, where we spent at least one day too many, for my taste.
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. We are looking into museums, due to the cold weather. We are Floridians!!